30. Trust

Omar

 "Marry me, Omar. Today.

I was looking at her stunned at the determination in her eyes, as much as the ease with which she had uttered those words. God knows, every brain cell of mine was roaring to go, even plotting for a way to get out of here and head straight to a mosque. But... 

 Madi, and her parents, and their relationship. And what of society when they find out we ran away to get married? 

I had promised her father, I would protect her from the world. Thrusting her into a spontaneous marriage without the approval of her parents would be a breach of that promise. My mind raced, torn between the urgency in her plea and the responsibility I felt toward safeguarding her honor and reputation. 

"Omar, we don't have to wait," she repeated, the intensity in her eyes unwavering.

The idea was beyond tempting, why would I not want the woman who I loved so deeply in my life without a moment's delay? I hated going home to an empty apartment that yearned of her presence. I would hate it even more tonight. 

The idea was so tempting that neither of us realized what was happening in our surroundings. The crowd that we had hoped would thin out was simply changing in composition. Instead, of the peaceful protesters we had encountered earlier, holding placards and shouting calls for justice, these new arrivals held batons and sticks, calling for violence against those in power. Instead of masks to protect against COVID, they wore masks to protect their identity. 

The change was subtle, the peace tense, neither went noticed by me when I squeezed Madi's hand and leaned towards her. 

"Madi, you know I want nothing more -" I had started to to say when the worried voices of Elijah and his partner nurse interrupted me. 

"Guys, one of the medical camps is reporting skirmishes between demonstrators and police," my co-intern informed our group. 

The ER attending joined us, repeating Elijah's words of caution. "I've gotten news that riot police are moving in around the city government buildings and along the main streets. Hopefully, we are still far away and have our healthcare worker badges, so we'll be safe. But keep your goggles with you anyway, in case of tear gas."         

Riot police? Tear gas? Jolted out of my reluctant euphoria I looked at Madi, who was out of her seat now and was taking out clear plastic goggles from our supplies bag, completely unfazed by what we had just heard. 

"No, no," I took the bag away from her, "you are not taking out goggles, you are packing up now. We need to leave. Its not safe."

"And it will be safe for the rest of the physicians and nurses in our team?" she raised an eyebrow. "I am staying till everyone else decides to leave. You can go if you want. I don't need you."

"Seriously?" I looked at her aghast. "Just a moment ago, you were ready to elope with me and now you don't need me."

She yanked the medical supplies bag back from me, "Clearly you don't need me either, or want me."

"I never said that."

"You never said yes."

"Madi -"

Of course, the stupid walkie-talkie had to crackle at that very moment with an urgent call. A man, just around the corner from us, was having difficulty breathing.

"I'll take the call," Madi yelled out before I could stop her, and was out of the tent with a medical bag slung over her shoulder, her stethoscope around her neck and her curls trailing in the wind. I ran after her, what other choice did I have anyway?