𝐇𝐞 𝐓𝐚𝐥𝐝 𝐌𝐞 𝐓𝐚 𝐌𝐚𝐧 𝐔𝐩

My siblings, Rose, and I all stood around a computer screen, watching my father talk on the video he had left for us. We were all crying.

A great man once said that if you're born poor, that's not your fault, but if you die poor, that's on you.

I think, in the end, it was my fear of going back, of losing everything I have that made me lose sight of everything I am. Everything I wanted to be.

I killed Big John Routledge.

I murdered Sheriff Peterkin.

Rafe shook his head when Ward had said that, running his hands through his hair.

Since our dad confessed, Rafe was released.

I shot Gavin Barnstead.

I know there's nothing I can do to ease the pain I've caused.

Many will say I took the easy way out, but I leave this world with the terrible pain of knowing that I leave behind my family, shattered by grief, broken by my sins.

I don't expect you to forgive me for leaving you this way.

I just pray you understand that I can't go on ruining your lives anymore.

This had to end.

To all of you, I leave my estate to be divided equally, and a love deeper than I could ever express.

Take care of each other.

The video faded to black, everyone getting up and walking away once it was over. Everybody but Sarah and I.

We sat there, tears streaming down our cheeks, just staring at the computer.

I eventually leaned forward and slammed it shut, turning to my sister. "You wanna head to the Chateau?"

She nodded, wiping her tears. "Yeah, I've gotta talk to John B anyway,"

We composed ourselves as much as we could manage and headed outside, walking toward my bike.

"Sarah, Aspyn!" Rafe called from behind us. "Hey, guys, wait!"

He jogged up behind us, putting a hand on Sarah's shoulder.

She spun around and pushed him away. "You touch me one more freaking time!"

"We can't keep ignoring each other," Rafe said. "Dad would want us to talk,"

"When I tell you, you are the last person I want to talk to, I mean it, Rafe!" Sarah shot.

"I know you hate me..." He sighed. "I know you hate me,"

"You tried to kill me!"

"Come on, Sarah," I huffed, grabbing her wrist and leading her to my motorcycle.

"Please! Guys, please don't leave, okay?!" Rafe begged, running behind us.

We paused for a second, contemplating what to do, then turned back to our brother.

"Dad's gone..." He sighed. "And now, it's just you guys, me, and Wheezie,"

"What's the point, Rafe?" Sarah asked.

"Just hear him out," I told my sister.

"Aspyn-"

"Nobody has ever listened to him before. I'm damn sure of it," I whispered. "Maybe he needs this,"

She huffed. "Yeah, okay, whatever,"

Rafe approached us, being sure not to move suddenly or in any way that we would see as threatening.