Prologue

My alarm clock started softly ringing.

Yes, softly.

We couldn't risk being caught by the werewolves.

Our village is filled with humans, we were one of the only ones who were left to survive. But it hadn't always been like this.

When my grandmother was still alive, she told me that decades ago, the werewolves were the ones in hiding. Humans lived a normal life, they just lived: born, aging, school, romantic drama, finding jobs, work, more drama, fights, arguments, marriage, giving birth, and dying.

It was pretty much normal, and boring.

That was, until the vampires got tired of drinking blood discreetly. They wanted blood slaves, people to do work for them. And it didn't take them much work, it was easy for them to overpower the government, and it probably didn't even take them a bit of an effort.

That was when slavery started.

Vampires thought that the sun goddess, the goddess who they believed in, made humans to be their slaves and food. But slavery soon turned into torture, and the torments turned to death massacres. It was horrible to even think about.

I woke up and rubbed my eyes.

No one ever set up an alarm clock, the chief of the village assigned our parents to be the ones to set our alarm clocks- if it rings, it only meant one thing.

It was my turn to search for food today.

As bad as it sounds, it was to be fair. It wouldn't be fair if I ate food every day and have the rest of the people in my village hunt for food.

I remember the first time I hunted for food- when I was 14. I was really nervous, it sounded very scary but it went smoothly anyway, even though there were a couple of werewolf guards at some points.

I hopped off of the bed and went down the wooden stairs of our house, the stairs creaking each time I put my weight on each step.

Our house was old, and wasn't repaired because of the lack of supplies ever since the were's and vamp's started ruling. Well- the power was mostly on the werewolves since vampires can't really live without blood. I mean, they could survive with animal blood but they liked human blood better, because it was sweeter.

Though sometimes just some sips of blood from our neck can kill us if the vampire doesn't know how to avoid important veins and arteries.

I shook my head and pushed my thoughts aside as I got ready for the day.

I took a fresh shower to calm my nerves and got changed into light, flexible clothing. It was one of the most important things to remember- wear light and flexible clothes instead of heavy clothing so that we could run faster, move faster, and be stealthier.

Yes, I had to get ready early in the morning since we started hunting for food or any necessities at 5 AM, so not much wolves were awake yet.

I checked the clock.

4:46 AM.

I still got a few more minutes to get ready and then head to the village's headquarters to gather with my team.

I started cooking breakfast which was just vegetables. I wasn't joking when I said we didn't have much in this village, our breakfast, lunch, and dinner were mostly vegetables, and meat on rare occasions. Veggies were mostly our food for meals since there were many farms rather than poultries in our village. And, because of us being mostly veggie-eaters, we live a longer life, some people even exceed the age of 100.

I know that age might sound low for a werewolf, but most humans die before the age of 60 if they eat a lot of meat.

I placed the now cooked vegetables on a plate, piling it all up then grabbed a smaller plate, sat on a chair, and started eating.

The food was as bland as always, I didn't like eating these but it's pretty much the only thing to eat.

I ate the remaining food on my plate, trying not to throw up.

I stood up, placed the plate on the sink, and literally ran towards the village headquarters. I forgot about the time.

I burst the door open and found Ezra and Emma, along with the village chief, waiting for me.

"Finally, this is the first time you aren't late," the village chief muttered. "The last time you were late, you and your team were almost captured by the werewolves."

"I know, you know I'm sorry, right? I mean- I would never do it intentionally."

The village chief sighed.

"You've said that almost a hundred times, and it's in the past. Are you all ready?"

We all nodded, in sync.

"Alright then, let the hunt begin," he said as if it was a game.

But it wasn't a game, it was a matter of death and life.

We all ran out of the village headquarters, pretending to be very eager. But we weren't.

When we finally reached the outskirts of the town, we faced each other, panting.

Running all across that wasn't as easy as people thought, the village was actually pretty big. I didn't know why we had to hunt for meat and stuff outside town when they could fertilize more soil to make into farms. I mean, we didn't lack land or materials to start more farms, that was pretty much one of the only things we didn't lack of.

We looked at each other and we knew what that meant.

Time to rest.

Yep, it was against the rules to rest during a start of a hunt but we didn't really care.

We found a tree whose leaves were thick enough to shield us from the sun and bark thick enough to hide us from anyone's view from the back.

"Did you bring it?" I asked Ezra.

He was always the first person to arrive at the headquarters so he should've gotten us a good weapon pack.

"Of course, we couldn't live without them," he said, patting the black bag he had clutched at his hand.

"Guys, rest time's done or we won't be able to eat meat the whole week," Emma groaned.

We started unpacking the weapons and armed ourselves, ready to hunt.

But that was when a werewolf howled.

And a whole bunch of werewolves started chasing us.