ten

By the time the two girls reached Jordan's flat, their clothes were soaked; fabric clinging to their cold skin, and damp hair dripping with rainwater. They stood in the living room, surrounded by half-packed boxes full of dusty memories, and stacks of picture frames that hadn't been hung up yet.

"Jordan? Is that you?" A deep voice called from the kitchen, and a moment later, Jordan's Father appeared. He had dark brown skin, a full black beard, and soft almond eyes just like his daughter's.

"Baba." Jordan greeted her Father, "This is my friend, Willow."

"Hello." He scanned Willow up and down, "I'm Aalim. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"You too." Willow smiled politely.

"Where have you been?" His gaze flicked back to his daughter.

She shrugged, "Out."

"Jordan-"

"Willow's gonna stay the night." She glanced out the window, fogged with condensation, raindrops sliding down the glass, "She can't get back tonight - the roads are too dangerous."

Aalim hesitated, "It's a school night-"

"And there's a storm." Jordan interrupted, "It's not safe."

"I'm really sorry, sir." Willow cut in, eyes soft and apologetic, "If it's too much trouble I can-"

"It's alright." Aalim smiled kindly, "Of course you're welcome to stay."

"Thank you."

"C'mon." Jordan grabbed Willow's wrist, tugging her away from Aalim, "I'm freezing; I need to get out of these clothes."

Jordan's bedroom was small and bare. She had a single bed pressed to one wall, draped in grey sheets, sat beneath a window overlooking the bus stop where she took cigarette breaks. Against the other wall was a chest of drawers and a record player, surrounded by colourful vinyls stacked haphazardly on the floor. The walls were plain, lacking posters or photographs, and a pile of unopened boxes sat neglected in the corner, still taped up and untouched.

"Sorry - haven't finished unpacking yet." Jordan murmured, shrugging her coat off and peeling her wet clothes away from her cold skin.

Willow immediately diverted her attention, staring out the foggy window, pulling the beanie off of her head. "It's alright." She replied, shaking her waterlogged curls, trying to dry the ends.

Jordan plucked a t-shirt and a pair of grey joggers out of a drawer, and tossed them at Willow, "Here, put these on. I'll hang your wet clothes out to dry."

"Uh...sure." Willow gulped nervously, fingers curling around the soft fabric, making no move to undress.

Jordan tugged her wet jeans off, glancing at Willow questioningly. As realisation settled across her face, she smiled in amusement, "Do you want me to turn around?"

Willow wanted to nod, but stood frozen in place instead, like a marble statue with cold skin glistening with raindrops, eyes still and unmoving. Willow changed in front of her friends everyday. She walked around her dorm in her underwear, and watched the other girls do the same. Bare flesh was innocent. There was nothing shameful about it, but suddenly, for the first time, she doubted that. Because as Jordan undressed in front of her, Willow's breath hitched in her throat, and shame was all she felt. "No, it's okay." She finally managed to choke out.

Jordan laughed under her breath, and suddenly, she was undressed, wearing nothing but a pair of men's boxers and a sports bra. Jordan's smooth brown skin glistened with rainwater, and the dim yellow glow from the lightbulb hanging overhead outlined the curve of Jordan's hips, her thighs, her soft stomach, all exposed for Willow's hungry eyes. She was missing her armour; messy clothes, crooked ties, fabric smothering the girl who hid beneath. She was just Jordan now; stripped bare to her core. Almond eyes and brown skin and a bubble of warmth despite the chill of the storm still lingering on her soft flesh.