twenty five

On Friday night, the five girls sat in a circle on the floor, bottles of alcohol between them, knees knocking together clumsily. It was raining outside, but the warmth of their laughter kept the room alight, propping them up above the fog that rolled across the forest below. There was vodka on their lips, and music in their ears, and stars in their eyes. They didn't feel like Riverview girls in that moment. They just felt like girls. Young, and reckless, and free.

"Okay, okay..." Sydney giggled, pouring a splash of coke into a glass of vodka, "But Coach Mitchell was definitely the one to propose."

"Oh, absolutely." Dahlia smiled, her eyes bright, cheeks rosy. "I bet it was adorable."

"He seems like the romantic type." Sydney nodded in agreement, "Bet it was all candles and roses."

"And how could Dr Lloyd say no to that face?" Sydney cooed, "Coach Mitchell is fucking gorgeous."

"I don't know." Dahlia cocked her head to the side in contemplation, "He's never really done it for me."

Sydney rose her brows in surprise, then turned to the other girls, "Help me out here." She pleaded, "Val?"

Val shrugged, sipping from her glass in disinterest, "He's alright, I guess."

Sydney turned to Willow and Jordan, but hesitated before she could open her mouth. She swallowed hard, "I guess I'm the only one who finds him attractive then." She shrugged, taking a swig of vodka and coke.

Willow rolled her eyes, "Can we talk about something other than our teachers?"

"Let's play a game." Dahlia suggested.

"We're not eleven anymore." Val replied dryly.

"What's up with you?" Sydney frowned, "You're so moody—"

"Truth or dare." Dahlia interrupted, her voice a little high, desperate to dissolve any argument that might take place between the girls. "Let's play truth or dare."

"Alright, I'm in." Willow sighed, downing a gulp of alcohol, feeling her head start to go fuzzy.

"Jordan." Sydney nudged Jordan with her leg, "You first."

"Alright." Jordan shrugged, "Truth."

"How many people have you slept with?" Val asked, glancing down at her nails, clearly disinterested.

Jordan hesitated, sparing a quick glance in Willow's direction, "Six." She answered.

"How many people have you dated?" Sydney pressed her.

"She already answered one question." Willow cut in sharply, "If you wanna ask her another, you have to wait till the next round."

Sydney rolled her eyes, "Fine."

"Willow; truth or dare?" Dahlia grinned.

"Dare."

The girls exchanged a look, attempting to craft the perfect dare, "Down your drink." Dahlia instructed innocently.

"Nah, don't go too easy on her." Jordan smirked, "Sure you can handle a little more than that, can't you, blondie?"

Willow stared her down, playfully challenging her, "Throw anything at me, Kiani. I can handle it."

Jordan's smirk widened, "D'you know where Burke sleeps?"

Willow's eyes widened, "You can't get me in trouble—"

"When have I ever gotten you in trouble?"

"You got her detention once." Val interjected.

Jordan brushed her off with a laugh, "Well, not this time, blondie. I wouldn't do anything to tarnish your perfect reputation."