twenty three

Willow and Jordan were laying in each other's arms, naked and sweaty, basking in the cool breeze that drifted through the open window. Their bodies were pressed together, hot flesh smothered by bedsheets, frizzy hair sprawled out across the pillows. It was a moment of silent intimacy, their hearts beating together, pulses throbbing beneath flushed skin.

Willow's lips were swollen, her cheeks wet from tears of passion, hair tangled with the ghost of Jordan's touch. She gulped, tilting her head to the side, her eyes locking with Jordan's, "That was..." Her voice was rough and broken. She smiled, "That was amazing."

Jordan shifted closer, her nose brushing against Willow's, her fingers tracing meaningless shapes on Willow's bare shoulder, "You were amazing." She whispered, her lips tugging into a smile, "Prefects really know their stuff, huh?"

Willow laughed, too weak to do much else, "Will you ever shut up about me being a prefect?"

"Probably not." Jordan grinned, her fingertips grazing Willow's collarbone, her throat, and the curve of her jaw. She had explored every inch of Willow's body, mapping it out, forging new paths, and now, she wanted to do it again, but slowly this time, only with the tips of her gentle fingers. "I really like you, Willow." She said softly.

Willow sunk further into the pillow, feeling sated and content, her heart swelling at Jordan's words, "I really like you, too."

Jordan kissed her lightly, barely moving her lips, just enjoying the way Willow's felt against her own. "You're the only reason I don't entirely hate this place, y'know?"

The words sunk into Willow's skin, and she felt their weight burning into her bones. It was a good feeling, but a terrifying one all the same. She watched Jordan, drinking up her beauty, "Your Mum wouldn't be disappointed in you." Willow said after a long pause.

Jordan's brows twitched into a frown, "My Mum?"

"Earlier..." Willow murmured, "You asked me if I thought she would be disappointed in you." She recalled, "She wouldn't, Jordan. You're...You're incredible."

Jordan smiled, "You're the only one who thinks so."

Willow sighed, curling further into Jordan's side, her arm flung across Jordan's bare chest, "Back when you were new, Miss Burke said something to you..." She murmured quietly, hesitant to continue her sentence, "She said that Riverview took a chance on you. She said that she wasn't happy to hear that the headmistress had let you enrol here." Willow remembered the altercation clearly; it was Jordan's first week, and Miss Burke had scolded her for wearing her uniform incorrectly. "What did she mean by that?"

Jordan chuckled, "You've been waiting to ask me that, haven't you, blondie?"

Willow sighed, "I've been curious."

"I don't have the best record." Jordan replied honestly, "I was suspended a few times... Spent a lot of afternoons in detention, too."

"So, not much has changed, huh?"

Jordan grinned, "Nothing at all."

"So, Miss Burke didn't want you here because you-what? You might compromise the school's image?"

Jordan nodded, "Have I succeeded?"

"Definitely." Willow smiled in amusement.

Jordan pulled her closer, planting her lips against Willow's forehead, breathing in the scent of her shampoo. "I used to be quite a good student, y'know?" She said after a moment of silence, her voice heavier than it was before. "And then my Mum died." She gulped.

Willow tilted her head up to lock eyes with Jordan. She thought about all the contempt she once held for the girl laying beside her. She once believed that Jordan was rude, entitled, disrespectful. And now, after all the stolen glances and soft touches, Willow hated herself for ever being so blind. For not seeing the reason behind Jordan's resentment for this cold castle that held the ghost of her Mother. For not seeing the pain behind those almond eyes Willow had spent so many hours staring into. For not seeing Jordan's broken fragments, sharp and jagged and scarring.

"I started acting up after her death." Jordan continued, "Hanging out with the wrong crowd, smoking weed, staying out late, hooking up with strangers." She was stroking Willow's hair, staring up at the domed ceiling, her eyes blank, expression unreadable. "Honestly, I think it made the decision easier, for my Dad...sending me here."

"He thought Riverview would fix you?"

"He thought it might." She sighed, "And I think it has...a little." She glanced down at Willow again, a smile edging at the corners of her mouth.

"Really?" Willow asked in surprise.

"Yeah." Jordan hummed in agreement, "It's hard to get caught up in the wrong crowd here." She laughed in amusement, "There is no wrong crowd."

Willow laughed, too, "You're right."

"Everyone's perfect. Everyone's got their life together." Her touch trailed down the back of Willow's neck, tracing the curve of her spine, "It doesn't make me want to be...good...all of a sudden. But it makes me want to try."

Willow grinned, "Did I really just hear Jordan Kiani say that she wanted to be good?"

Jordan rolled her eyes, "I take it back. It might make you less attracted to me."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Willow scoffed.

"Oh, c'mon." Jordan teased, "You like the fact that I'm not perfect." She said knowingly, "That I break the rules, and get detention, and stand up to teachers. You like that I don't wear my uniform properly, and smoke in school, and drag you into empty offices to make out with me."

Willow blushed, because Jordan was right, "I just... I don't know." She sighed, "You're different. You're... You make me better."

Jordan stared at her, genuine confusion written across her face, "I make you better?"

"You make me less insufferable to be around." She said earnestly, "Like, when I'm with you, I'm not... I'm not some annoying teacher's pet. I'm not just a prefect, or someone people are too scared to swear in front of, in case they get in trouble." She poured her heart out, realising that Jordan had taken down every one of her barriers. She was naked in so many different ways in that moment. "You see me as someone with potential." She continued, "Potential to be good and bad. Potential to be brave, and strong, and...and like you."

"You are brave and strong, Willow." Jordan promised her, her voice gentle but raw.

"Not like you." Willow murmured shamefully, "Not like Sydney, or Val." She used to think Val was the strongest person she knew; so brazen and bold and confident. Willow had always been afraid that Val would realise how pathetic she was, and toss her aside like a used doll. Maybe that had been the reason Willow had never tried to forge a friendship with her that was deeper than a shared dorm and a shared box of tampons.

"Willow." Jordan said her name slowly, "Most people think that everyone else is stronger than them. You know that, right?" She smiled reassuringly, "It's not true though. Because you're... I mean, you're really something, blondie."

Her heart swelled, and Willow wondered if she would ever be able to untangle herself from the web of Jordan Kiani. Because right now, it had her trapped. "Fine." She grinned, "I like that you're not perfect." She admitted, "I like that you break the rules and make me feel...make me feel dangerous."

Jordan smirked, kissing her on the lips, as if she had done it a thousand times before, as if it wasn't still new, and terrifying, and wonderful. "Maybe we're dangerous together, Chambers."

Willow didn't know what to make of that, so she brushed it off, "We need to go." She mumbled reluctantly, "Second period starts soon. We can't be late."

"Of course not." Jordan grinned into her lips, "Prefects can never be late."

They changed slowly, as if trying to preserve the weight of the room, the words that lingered between them, and the smell of intimacy and sex. They didn't want to leave the sweet bubble they had created, but one glance at the clock made them realise that they had no choice. Willow made her bed, straightening the sheets, before kissing Jordan softly on the cheek. As they descended the West Tower, they fixed on masks of indifference, because out here, in the castle, they were just friends.

Friends who shared smiles, and books, and music. Not friends who shared kisses, and secrets, and bodies.