iv | unsettling feelings

JACE

"SAVANNAH, WHAT ARE my meetings for today?" I turned to my personal assistant/secretary, who happened to be one of my closest friends.

Savannah Keahi and I met when she was a freshman and I was a junior during our undergrad years. At first, her bubbly and intrusive personality weirded me out, but she began to grow on me and I haven't been able to shake her off since.

Even though I would never tell her—knowing she'd never let it die down—I am forever grateful to have her as my support system throughout all the shit that's been going on for the last few years.

Since she was there through essentially everything, she knew what I needed and when I needed it.

Now, more than ever, I needed that support.

"Well, it's currently ten-twenty-six and your next meeting is scheduled for eleven-fifteen. So, you have approximately fifty minutes to relax and talk to your bestie. You are so very welcome, handsome," she replied, leaning back in her chair and giving me a toothy grin as if she was pleased with her work.

I stopped at her desk that was conveniently placed in front of my office. "You do realize that the main part of this job is working, right?"

She waved her hand, dismissing my words instantly.

Most people would think twice before acting like this in front of the CEO of the company that you were employed at but not Van. "Working, shworking. What's life if you don't have some fun? Plus, I've been working enough. I think I'll be pretty good for the next two hours."

"Interesting," I feigned compliance. "And your idea of fun is gossipping with me. Someone who honestly couldn't care less." I raised an eyebrow in her direction. Trying to figure out what goes on in her brain will age me fifty years.

"Of course, Jace," she sat at her desk and motioned towards the open chair in front of her, "Chop chop, we don't have all day."

"No, we just have fifty minutes that you so conveniently planned"—I smiled before continuing to my office—"Next time, why don't you schedule meetings around some more and give yourself the whole day off."

"Really?" Her naive eyes lit up in excitement.

"No," I deadpanned, my face dropping while I shut the door.

"Hey! No fair. I have very serious things to discuss with you. In fact, they can be considered business-related," she retorted, opening the door and ruining my last chance at peace for the day.

I released a heavy sigh, realizing that nothing was gonna stop her. "What do you wanna talk about?"

She gave me a quizzical look as she plopped down on the sofa that I was just about to lay on. "You seriously don't know what I'm gonna ask you about."

"Savannah, the last time I tried figuring out what you were thinking about, I passed out from exhaustion. Out with it before I kick you out. And, don't test me. I have a long day planned." I replied, settling in the chair that was not as comfortable as the damn sofa.

She took in a deep breath—something that meant nothing but trouble for your ears—before continuing, "You just left after the meeting last night!"

"And?" I knew precisely what she meant, but I had no urge to defend or explain my actions.

The request from last night was still ringing in my ears, Alex's voice keeping me up all night.

Marriage. The word seemed like a mockery considering the circumstances that he and I found each other in, but I still accepted.