xxviii | cheating fate

JACE

PERSONALLY, I DIDN'T give two shits about relationships and all the crap that comes with them.

I didn't have the time nor the care to engage in something so meaningless and emotional. But, hearing about Kimberly's past relationship, particularly a meaningful one given her reaction, brought something alien out of me.

I should've asked the doctor to scan me too.

However, the word that really hit me like a truck was 'cheating'.

Cheating? Cheating on Kimberly?

The only thought running through my head was 'Wow, this guy's a fucking idiot'. Why? I had no fucking idea why I had the sudden urge to pummel him—thoughts I haven't had in a long-ass time—but I guess it had to do with how he was stupid enough to cheat on Kimberly.

As much as she got on my nerves, there was something about a woman like her. Something that you wanted to hold on to, keep by your side, as long as she wanted you.

Cheating on her wasn't an option. Hell, it wasn't even on the fucking test.

I could literally feel the attraction between my fist and his face. A face that had the audacity to look crestfallen at the door my wife left through merely a few minutes ago.

"I should probably explain," Darius broke the silence.

I stayed silent, not trusting myself to not let out a string of expletives.

There was no way to explain what was wrong with me. I wasn't this type of person. I didn't get riled up this easily, but when it comes to her, I can't even fucking think straight for a second.

Suddenly, everything I was became nothing but a clean canvas for her to use to her liking.

I hated this.

I hated not being in control over my thoughts, my actions... my feelings.

The second I saw her dazed look and bleeding head—for the first time in my life—I felt scared.

I don't recall the last time I felt that strong sense of not knowing what was going to happen. Even with Mom's diagnosis, I kept my head level.

But when I saw Kimberly yesterday, I was torn between rushing to her side and beating the guts out of whoever did that to her.

I gestured for him to continue, wanting nothing more than to get this over with. I blame Ashton. As expected, the two cousins were a dynamic duo, to say the least.

"Kim and I dated for about a year in high school. We were friends before that, but I guess we just thought it made sense to be together." His words were doing nothing to calm the storm brewing inside me. "I don't have the right to tell you the whole story, but I cheated on her the summer before senior year. Granted, in my opinion, I had a good reason to do so."

I looked at the guy who was around my height, but significantly leaner, wondering what the absolute fuck was wrong with him.

He needs a scan too.

I straightened myself, crossing my arms in the way that drives Kimberly insane. "And what, pray tell, was this reason of yours?"

The guy had balls, for sure. To look me in the eyes and admit that he had a 'good reason' to cheat. Especially on my fucking wife.

"I wanted her to be happy."

I wasn't expecting those exact words to come out of his mouth, hence my eyebrows shooting up at the admission. The absolute last thing I expected was to see the genuinity in his eyes.