xxxix | lost never found

KIMBERLY

DÉJÀ VU WASN'T a bad feeling until it applied to waking up in a hospital with a fucking migraine.

Why does this always happen to me?

It wasn't often that I found myself waking up in a hospital, but each time was just as bad as the previous one. The mental distress typically matched the physical distress, making this one of my least favorite feelings.

I craved some well-needed comfort.

The last thing I remember was the impact of the car and the dream...

"Jace," I called out, my eyes adjusting to the light.

Instantly, a hand reached out to mine, holding it like it was life support. I trained my eyes on his face, seeing the worry lines on his forehead and the dark bags under his eyes.

How long was I out?

"Venus," Jace breathed out. His hand was already in mine when I woke up, but he began rubbing it soothingly, bringing it up to his lips for a kiss. "I should kill you for that."

Ignoring his murder threat, I asked, "What happened? How long have I been here?"

"You were hit by a car, Venus," he whispered as if he was still in disbelief over what happened. "You've been out for a little over a day. How are you feeling?"

"Like shit," I groaned. "Fuck, I wanted Mediterranean food."

"I hate you," he mumbled, keeping his lips pressed against my hand. "Do you know how scary that was? I was driving back to you when I got a call that you were in the hospital. I've never been that... petrified in my life. Not even when Mom..."

"I'm here, now," I replied, stroking his jaw with the hand he was holding. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you worried."

"Venus, don't apologize," he groaned. "Fuck, baby. I'm not mad at you for making me worried. I'm mad that I wasn't there for you."

"Don't you dare blame yourself," I chastised. "But what's the verdict? What's wrong with me?"

"Besides everything," he scoffed, earning an ear tug from my only good hand. "You have a pretty bad concussion, bruised ribs, your left wrist and ankle are sprained, and—"

"And?" I blurted. "There's more?"

"Well, drama queen, the rest are just scrapes and bruises from your body hitting the asphalt," he finished. "What the fuck were you thinking, going outside in shorts? It's fucking winter."

"I was hot," I mumbled. "And technically, it's not winter yet."

My body was weird. Different parts of it were different temperatures at certain times. Some days my upper body was on fire while my legs were fine and vice versa. This time, my upper body was cold while my legs could cook an egg to perfection.

"Sometimes, you really make me wish I went through with buying the collar," he admitted. "Do you want me to call them in?"

"Who's here?"

He thought about it for a second. "I think Ashton, Vivian, and your parents are the only ones here still. Everyone came the night of the accident, but Ashton and Liam told most of them to go home and wait for news. You have a lot of family."

"Remember what I said on Thanksgiving," I mused. "As long as you're married to me, they're yours too. So, get used to it."

"God, save me. A crazy wife and an equally crazy family," he muttered. "I'll go get them."