xxxv | sudden realizations

KIMBERLY

I WAS ABSOLUTELY spent.

Now, I know what my credit card feels like.

Round after round of being pounded into by this hulk of a man was exhausting. And, if he didn't stop soothing my wrists the way he was currently doing, I'd be down to go at it again.

His large thumb was rubbing across the red marks on my wrists as he lay down next to me. Every nerve in my brain was telling me to get out of the bed and sleep on the floor or something, but every fiber of my body was begging me to stay and bask in his warmth.

Ever since we started fucking, there wasn't a single time that we stayed in bed together afterwards. Granted, most of the time it happened in his office, but the rare occasions that he was in my bed or I was in his, it was a pleasant exchange and one of us would skedaddle.

Albeit, with his mom in the same house as us, it would be difficult to explain why we were sleeping separately, since she was under the impression that Jace and I were working towards a long-term marriage filled with happiness.

I felt bad for deceiving the poor woman, but it wasn't theoretically my fault.

Well, it was, but she didn't know.

I was happy enough with the countless orgasms I've had in the past month.

"When did we stop counting our orgams?" I blurted, relishing in how he started placing light kisses on my wrists.

I don't know if I was being paranoid, but I couldn't help but notice a shift in the way Jace acts around me. Ever since the first time we did it and he came back home from his Mom's, there's been an inexplicable difference.

The way he was gentle or caring or making a light-hearted sarcastic comment after sex. Or, even the way his eyes just watched me.

In the pale moonlight gleaming through his window, his eyes were visibly soft, looking at me like I was more than an exclusive sex buddy. It makes it more difficult to separate feelings from this. It makes it harder to keep up the resolve I had been building for seven long years.

"When you were too incoherent after sex to remember how to count," he snarked back, reminding me of the nature of our relationship.

I rolled my eyes, slapping his arm with the hand he wasn't currently holding. "That's not my fault."

"You're right," he pauses to think for a second, "and it's a huge ego boost to know that I've given you significantly more orgasms than that loser."

What? Darius?

"Who?" I leaned back to see his jaw ticked at the thought of the mystery man. I was pretty sure the only thing Jace knew about Darius was the fact that he and I dated and he cheated, so it didn't make sense for him to be upset about a sex life he knew nothing of.

Did he finally read the tabloids?

"Benedict," he gritted through his teeth.

Have I ever slept with a dude named Benedict? I feel like I would remember that. It was a strangely sexy name.

"Who?" My owl imitation was spot-on.

"The guy I took to Brazil."

Oh my...

"Benicio?" All confusion left my tone, only to be replaced by annoyance.

The hand he was leaning against suddenly came down and clamped over my mouth. "Don't say another man's name when you're in bed with me."