xvii | a new proposition

**warning: spicy content ahead**

KIMBERLY

IT WAS THE night before the wedding and—as always—Vivian had a full-proof method of keeping me from going out and getting drunk: a girl's night in.

As much as I love dressing up and going out, I was not above pampering myself to perfection for hours on end. It takes effort to look this good and I gave it maximum effort.

It was a quarter-past ten, and Vivian—as my unofficial maid-of-honor—invited Gigi, Ana, Camelia, Savannah, and Addison to my impromptu bachelorette party. Ash wanted to come, but Vivi shunned him at the door after he dropped Lia off.

All of us were already in our pajamas, ready for a night of relaxation.

Ana was currently in the kitchen, whipping up some snacks. Camelia was sitting by the TV, queuing up a list of movies for us to watch. Savannah and Vivian were getting all of our self-care things ready. Last and very much least, Addison was sitting on the couch, looking at her phone.

It's no secret that Addison and I didn't get along, so it was completely beyond me why Vivi would invite her to my bachelorette party. The second she walked in, Vivian shot me a be nice look at the scowl that was forming on her face.

Once upon a time, I loved Addison like a sister, but something changed between us after that traumatizing incident when we were kids. A silent rivalry took over our relationship and it hasn't been the same since.

Gigi and I were sitting on the floor as she was telling me about a new job opportunity once she graduates from law school. Like Ashton, Gigi also attended NYU Law and was set to graduate in two more semesters.

"So, what's the big news?" I asked the girl, who was practically vibrating on the floor.

"You won't believe it," she gushed. "You know how Mom's from Valdonia?" I nodded. "Well, the Royal Advisor to the Crown Prince asked if I would be willing to intern for the Royal Council after I graduate."

"Holy shit, Gigi. That's amazing!"

Valdonia, officially known as the Kingdom of Valdonia, was a small, European nation, bordering the Mediterranean Sea. Valdonia was a cultural hub and known for its diversity and rich history.

Efthymia's side of the family were Valdonian business people, which is why Alex's parents were hell-bent on getting the two of them married.

Now, the Kingston family had a heavy influence on the Valdonian economy.

"Apparently, they've seen my humanitarian work and want me to work closely with Prince Augustus Thessali to help clear up his image," she went on.

"See," I chided. "I wish Dad knew marriage wasn't the only way to clean up someone's rep. But, you know how hot he is, right?"

"Kim—"

"I know. I know. I'm getting married, but that guy is woof," I reasoned, defending myself. "Isn't Jace's friend in Valdonia right now?"

At the mention of my fiancé's name, both Savannah and Addison's heads shot up. I had an inkling from last Christmas that Addison had a crush on Jace, but her constant longing gazes towards him proved my assumption.

Maybe that's why she's been extra crabby lately.

It's not my fault. I didn't ask for this, so there was no reason for her to be mad at me for this.

"Emre?" Savannah asked. Addison's curiosity peaked up, probably recognizing the name.

I nodded. "Yeah, Jace was talking about him the other day."