xvi | beef with kids

KIMBERLY

A FEW DAYS passed since we went to visit Jace's mom.

With the wedding coming up so soon, there were a lot of last-minute details that needed to be taken care of. So, for the last few days, I've been busy with dress fittings, cake-tasting, venue-inspecting...

It's safe to say that I'm completely over this wedding business already.

But the hardest part of it all was coming up with a fake, public date that Jace would appreciate. He already annoyingly set the standard high with his fake date by taking me to one of my all-time favorite restaurants.

In all honesty, I shouldn't be caring this much over whether or not my plans impressed him, but I wanted to do something nice for him.

Ugh, this feels weird.

I remember him mentioning something about liking astronomy, but I didn't know if I was remembering correctly.

I resorted to calling Savannah to find out more about his interests. To her enjoyment, she was the all-knowing source of information for both of us. An hour after the phone call, I had an excellent plan of action drawn up.

Now, I was in the building, making my way up to his office's floor.

As always, I was dressed to impress with my white, strapless, lace corset top and navy blue oversized suit jacket with the matching fitted pants. The thick brown belt tied the look together, as well as my white Louboutins.

I got off on his floor and went to greet Van, who was eyeing my outfit with a huge grin.

What's that about?

"What's up?"

"Nothing," she started rocking back and forth on her feet with that grin intact. "Jace's on a call right now."

"Business?"

"No, personal. A friend of ours."

Now, it was my turn to smile evilly.

Perfect.

Turning on my heel, I headed straight into his office and stopped at the sight before me, mouth dropping.

I wish I could say it was because he was naked or something with that infuriatingly glorious body of his, but no. It was much, much worse.

He and I were matching.

This was worse than the time Camelia and Ashton showed up with matching outfits to our Christmas Eve dinner because I was the victim of this disgusting scenario.

I, Kimberly Nyla Astor, did not match with anyone one in any setting. It was against my principles as an avid shopper and fashion-enthusiast.

I could see the headlines already and I wanted to die.

Jace's head snapped up to me, his hand holding up a phone to his ear. "Yeah, I'm still here."

Curiosity filled me, desperate to know who was on the other end. Savannah said friend, but to my knowledge, she was the sole holder of this title.

His eyes narrowed at me as I seductively moved closer to him. The corset top was doing wonders for my chest, as it should, so I could put a finger on where his mind was as I made my way over.

I was having way too much fun with this.

His dizzying eyes were on me, completely drowning out the words of his conversation. If it weren't for his moving lips, I wouldn't even be able to tell that he was still on the phone. My mind was focused on one thing and one thing only.