xxxx | holiday blues

KIMBERLY

WITH ALL THE shit going on in the last couple of weeks, I completely forgot about Christmas.

It wasn't until Christmas Eve, when Jace went to go pick up Rina in the morning, that I finally remembered. But, at that point, it was too late.

I was known for giving great gifts but such a skill required time that I didn't have. I spent the entire day fussing over it, while Jace ignored my incessant rants. Rina did her best to console me, but I was going crazy.

I couldn't even properly appreciate my over-the-top deep red, shimmery dress because of how distraught I was.

Even in the car ride to Aunt Lucy and Uncle Eli's house, I continued complaining.

"Mom, can you please tell your daughter-in-law that she's overreacting?" Jace groaned.

"Rina, can you please tell your son that I'm not overreacting and if he says I'm overreacting again, I'll show him how I overreact?" I complained.

Rina was sitting in the passenger's seat, laughing when I inched my hands forward to wring Jace's neck.

"You two fight like you've been married for years," she replied, still laughing.

"With her, everyday feels like a year," he muttered.

I scoffed. "You just don't understand, Jace. We may have a no-gift rule, but... I just like feeling like I'm doing something for them," I admitted, resting both my elbows on the center console.

"Woman, put your seatbelt on," Jace chastised, glaring at me until I listened. "Plus, I already got gifts."

What?

"Why didn't you say so sooner?" I yelled, swatting his arm.

"Well, I didn't get something for everyone," he replied.

"That's the point," I leaned back, crossing my arms. "We don't get gifts for everyone. If we see something that reminds us of the other person, that's what we get. It's not obligatory, it's just special."

Rina smiled, turning around to face me. "You're so precious, Kimmy."

I blew her an air-kiss. "So... what'd you get?"

"I'm not telling you," Jace responded. "You'll find out when everyone else does."

I gasped dramatically. "That's not fair. I let you share credit for Gigi and Ana's gifts."

"As if anyone believed that," he scoffed. "Plus, these gifts are a little more... niche."

"Fine. Be that way," I huffed, scowling at him. "I don't think I've asked yet, but have you ever met Gigi and Ana, Rina?"

She shook her head. "Jace told me about them, but I've never met them."

"Well, you'll love them," I replied, smiling. "Anastasia is just like Alex with her dark hair and shy personality. And, like Alex, she's an absolute sweetheart when she opens up to you. Plus, her sense of humor is so underrated. Genessa takes on more after Effie with their blonde hair and vibrant personalities. She's extremely extroverted and opinionated, which makes her the life of any party. Despite being twins, they're practically the exact opposite of each other—besides sharing Effie's green eyes."

"I take it you guys are close," she responded.

I nodded. "I love everyone in my family more than anything... even Addison. They're everything to me. I don't think there's a single thing I wouldn't do for them."