Arc 1 chapter 4: interrogation for dummies

Wrapping things up, we presented our student ID cards to the machine by the register. Since we didn't have to deal with small change, our transaction was speedy.

"You really can use it like money..." I said.

My receipt showed the price of each item and the remaining amount of points. The payment had gone through without any problems. I poured hot water into my noodle cup while waiting for Horikita. I'd thought it might be tricky, but opening the lid and pouring hot water up the the line was simple enough.

Anyway, this school was eerie.

What merit could every student possibly have that would warrant such a massive allowance? Considering that there were about 160 people enrolled in my grade, simple calculation suggested that there were 480 people total in this school. That alone would mean 48 million yen each month. Annually, that would equal 560 million yen. Even for a government-supported school, that seemed like overkill.

"How does this school benefit from giving us this much money?"

"I wonder. The campus had more than enough facilities for the number of students, and I wouldn't think it necessary to hand out so much. Students who should be studying might slack off."

Perhaps it was some kind of reward for working hard and passing a test or something. Indeed, student motivation might increase if offered an incentive. However, the school had just handed out 100,000 yen to everyone, seemingly with no strings attached.

"I won't tell you what to do, but I think it would be best to avoid wasting your money. It's difficult to fix frivolous spending habits. Once a person gets used to an easy life, they find they need more and more. When you lose it, the shock can be great," Horikita said.

"I'll keep that in mind."

I didn't really intend to waste money on miscellaneous junk, but she had a point. After paying and exiting the store, I found Sudou seated outside, waiting for me. When I saw him, he gently waved me over. I waved in return, feeling somewhat embarrassed, yet happy.

"Are you really going to eat here?" I asked him.

"Of course. It's just common sense."

Sudou perplexed me with his matter-of-fact reply. Horikita sighed in exasperation.

"I'm going back. I'll be stripped of my dignity if I spend more time here," she said.

"What do you mean, 'dignity'? We're just high school students. We're ordinary. Or, what, are you the high-born daughter of some noble family or something?"

Horikita didn't flinch at Sudou's harsh tone. Seemingly irritated, Sudou set his noodle cup on the ground and stood.

"Huh? Hey, listen to people when they're talking to you! Hey!" He said.

"What's the problem? He just suddenly got angry." Horikita said this to me, ignoring Sudou. This was apparently too much for Sudou, who started to shout.

"Hey, get over here! I'll smack that smug look off your face!" He yelled.

"Hey! Look, I'll admit that Horikita has a bad attitude, but you're taking this too far. You need to calm down." I interjected.

It was apparent that Sudou's patience had run out. "Huh? Y-yeah. I, um. I'm sorry." Sudou apologised.

He couldn't refuse me, because I had helped him out.

"Ayanokouji-san, I would advise you not to become his friend," Horikita said. With that, she turned her back on Sudou.

"Hey, wait! You shitty girl!"