Arc 3 chapter 2: the boundary between heaven and hell.

A little while later, the crowd started getting riled up and making noise. The students' enthusiasm increased by leaps and bounds as we sailed closer and the island became clearer.

I'd thought that the ship would have gone directly to the island, but for some reason we passed the pier and started circling around. I could see a river, and a beach, now. The island, on loan from the government, had a surface area of about 0.5 square kilometres. The highest point of the island reached 230 metres. In comparison to Japan's total area, the island was tiny, but when seen by one hundred-odd people on a cruise ship, it looked unbelievably massive.

Eventually, the boat made a complete pass around the island. The ship continued to circle without changing speed, barely making a splash as it moved almost unnaturally fast through the water.

"Such a mysterious sight! It's so moving! Don't you think so, Ayanokouji-san?" Ichinose gushed.

"Yeah, I guess."

As I looked at Ichinose, whose eyes sparkled as she looked at the deserted island, my heart started to pound. Ichinose really was cute. I wanted to see her huge bre- I mean I wanted to see more of her during this holiday.

An announcement came over the PA speakers.

"We will disembark in thirty minutes. Please assemble on the deck. All students should have changed into their jerseys. Make sure to check your designated bag and your luggage, and do not forget your cell phone. Please keep all other personal items in your room. There is a possibility that you will not be now to visit the bathroom for some time, so please do so now."

Apparently, the private beach was near. Ichinose and the others went to change in high spirits. I started heading toward my group's room, too. There, I put on the jersey that I used for gym class, returned to the ship's deck, and waited until we reached the island. As the island drew closer and closer, the first-years' enthusiasm reached it's peak.

"We will disembark now, beginning with the students from class A. Cell phones are prohibited on the island. Please hand your phone to your homeroom teacher as you leave"

Following the loudspeakers' command, the students went down the stairs in an orderly fashion.

"Come on. Hurry up! Even though we're wearing thin clothes, we're all sweating!"

There was no place to hide from the sun on the ship's deck. No surprise that people were complaining.

Disembarking took longer than I thought it would, probably because the teachers guarded the students on both sides as they got off the ship and checked their luggage.

Hey. Does it seem like they're being strangely cautious right now? On their guard? I mean, they didn't even confiscate our cell phones during the final. They're really cracking down on the personal items."

"It certainly seems that way. I mean, if we're just playing in the ocean, I can't imagine they'd need to go this far."

Speaking of unnatural, there was a helicopter parked on the stern of the boat. While it was true that some things were bothering me, I was probably overthinking it. If students did bring their cell phones to the beach, someone's phone might get wet and break. And they probably didn't want personal items because they were worried about people polluting the beach with garbage. And if someone suddenly got ill, the helicopter was there for dispatch, right?

Soon, it would be our turn to be examined and get off the ramp. I had yet to realise that this place was going to be the boundary between heaven and hell.

Authors notes
611 words
I am not dead 🥳
I've been on a trip down south, so I wasn't able to update :/.
On the train ride back up north, the bus scene happened irl.
I didn't get up, because I dislike trouble 😏.
The person standing also had a dog, so I could pet it 🥰.
Not much else to say really
Hope you're all doing well and I hope you enjoyed