Arc 1 chapter 11: an angel? Or a demon?

"It looks like your bubbles have been burst. If you had simply understood the harsh reality of the situation from the start, then this long homeroom period might have meant something. Your midterm exams are in three weeks. Please think things over, and be careful not to drop out. I have confidence that you can find a way to avoid getting red marks on your report cards. If at all possible, challenge yourself to act in a way befitting a skilled individual."

Hoshinomiya-sensei exited the room.

None of the students could hide their confusion, and conversations were breaking out everywhere. I could see Ichinose was about to stand up and speak, so I kicked Kanzaki in the shin, gesturing for him to stand up and say something.

"I understand you're all confused right now, but everyone needs to calm down," Kanzaki said, attempting to rein everyone in. Ichinose sat back down, looking at him.

"If you think it's good to talk amongst your own separate groups, you're wrong. It's better for us to band together so we can turn things around."

A few murmurs of agreement sounded around the classroom. I looked towards Ichinose. Her face had many complex emotions written upon it. She was happy that the class had a central figure it could rely on, but she was unhappy that it wasn't her. She had only recently become a member of the student council. I'd heard she was rejected twice before she was accepted. If someone was in the student council, then they really needed to be the one to lead their class, at least in the eyes of the other student council members.

"At this stage, it'll be pointless trying to figure out how points are calculated. Besides, I don't think we can resolve this simply by investigating." Kanzaki said.

If we could figure out how many points were deducted by being late or talking in class, it's be easier to come up with countermeasures. But, as Kanzaki had said, it was certainly difficult to conclude anything based on the current information. Kanzaki was doing well, especially in such a trying situation.

"Before our next class begins, I have one more thing to say. We aren't in class A. This is a serious problem, and one that will affect our futures. It's impossible for us to secure the 100% employment guarantee without being in class A, right?"

"You're absolutely right!" Shouted one of the female students, her voice full of despair.

Kanzaki have a kind nod in response, sympathising with her.

"Of course. Therefore, we must earn points next month. To do that, we all need to cooperate with each other. So please, take care not to be late to class or to talk during the lecture. Also, the use of cell phones during class is prohibited, of course."

"Huh? And why do you get to tell us what to do? Ichinose-san is our leader."

Damn. If only we didn't have a naysayer. Ichinose stood up.

"No, no, don't worry, it's fine. Kanzaki-kun is smarter than me, and probably better suited to lead in this situation. But, As long as we continue talking during class or being late, our points won't increase for sure. Although we have more than class C and D, we still need to behave."

Quite a few people nodded and murmured in agreement.

"Yeah, I agree with Ichinose-san. It's only natural to avoid doing those things."

"Thank you. Now, Kanzaki-kun, Ayanokouji-san, do you have a moment? I want to speak with you about how we can increase our points. I'd like you to join me. Can you?"

That was slightly unexpected.

"Why do you want me?" I asked.

"I want to hear everyone's voices. You, in particular, since you scored perfectly on the test."