Arc 1 chapter 5: Enter, Kikyou Kushida

After the upperclassmen had run off with their tails between their legs, Sudou walked up to me.

"Where did you learn how to do that?" He asked, seriously.

"I do piano and calligraphy," I said.

"Don't bullshit with me. I know a trained fighter when I see one," he was getting a bit angry.

"Sudou, let me give you a piece of advice: no matter how big you are, you can't match up to me," I warned him.

"What, you wanna fight?" He undid his tie a little, getting into a fairly good fighting stance.

"Heh. You're a bit thick, aren't you?" I said.

"Tch...thanks for helping me and all, but you're almost as bad as Horikita," he said, throwing his fist forward in a quick jab aimed at my face.

"Too slow~" I chimed. I dodged and hit him in the stomach. He folded, and slumped against the wall, gasping for breath.

"H-how are you this strong?" He asked, through gritted teeth.

"None of your business," I replied, walking away.

I was careful to stay out of view of the two surveillance cameras when I did all these things. Being seen might have lead to problems later.

Around one pm, I made my way back to the dormitory, my home from that day onward. At the reception desk, I received a keycard for Room 401 and a handbook containing information about the dorm's rules, then boarded the elevator. I quickly flipped through the handbook, which only detailed the most basic things that we needed for our daily routines. The dates and times for garbage disposal were listed, as well as a notice about avoiding excessive noise. I also saw notes about not wasting water or electricity, and so on.

"So they don't place restrictions on electricity or gas usage?"

I'd assumed that the school would deduct the cost from our points. This school really went to great lengths to have a perfect system for its students. However, I was a little surprised that they'd implemented co-ed dormitories. After all, this was a high school, so the rules stated that unsuitable romantic relationships were frowned upon. In short, sex was strictly forbidden...what a downer 😕.

While I privately doubted that such pampered students could develop into fine, upstanding adults, it would be wise to make the best of the situation for now. I thought about what I got those seniors to tell me, about how the superior students of the school were sorted into class A, and the 'defectives' were put into class D. Where did that leave class B and class C?

My room was about eight tatami mats wide. Also, though this was a dorm, it was the first time I'd lived alone. I refused to have any contact with the outside world until graduation. Considering my situation, I unintentionally cracked a smile.

This school boasted a high employment rate upon graduation, and its facilities and student services were unmatched throughout the country, making it the preeminent high school in Japan. I found such things trivial, however. I'd chosen this high school for one fundamental reason.

At this high school, people were not allowed to contact students without permission, even if they were friends or immediate family. I greatly appreciated that. I was free. In English, they would call it, "freedom."

(Tatakae)

Isn't freedom simply the best? When I wanted to eat something, I could eat it. I almost didn't want to graduate. Before being accepted, I'd honestly thought I would be fine either way, that the difference between passing and failing would have been trivial. But my true feelings finally welled up. I was glad to have been admitted here.

No one else's eyes or words would ever reach me. I could start ag-no. I could begin anew entirely. A new life. I resolved to enjoy my time here to the fullest, but without drawing attention to myself. Still in my uniform, I dived into my already-made bed. I felt far from tired, however. I was so incredibly excited about my new life that I was unable to calm down. My eyes remained wide open.

Just the ,I got a text from Ichinose, asking if I wanted to hang out. I thought for a moment.

I accepted, naturally.

On our second day of school-well, I suppose technically it was the first day of class-we spent most of our time running over course objectives.

I took in the relaxed atmosphere, and soon it was lunchtime. Students stood up and left with their new acquaintances, disappearing from my view.

"Want to grab lunch together, Ayanokouji-san?" Kanzaki asked me.

"Sure, why not?" I accepted his invitation. We went to the cafeteria. We were chatting about nothing in particular while eating our lunch, when...

"Oh. Hi, Ayanokouji-san!"

It was Kushida, from class 1-D. This was the first time I'd actually taken a good look at her. She had short, straight, dyed-brown hair that almost brushed the top of her shoulders.

She was holding something in her hand. I couldn't tell if it was a pouch with a lot of key holders or what.

"I'm Kushida, from the bus. Do you remember me?" She asked.

"Of course. How could I forget someone like you?" I laughed a little.

"Do you need something, Kushida-san?" I asked.

"To tell you the truth, there's something I wanted to ask you. It's just one little question. Ayanokouji-san, are you on good terms with Horikita-san?"

"I wouldn't really say we're on good terms. Just casual acquaintances, I guess. Did she do something?"

It looked like her business was with Horikita rather than me, which was a little disappointing.

"Oh, no. Well, I want to get along with everyone in my class. I managed to get everyone's contact info in my class.  But...Horikita turned me down."

Ugh, Horikita was so oblivious. If such a positive, outgoing girl asked for your info, it would've been nice for you to throw me a bone and give me her contact info while you were at it. I could probably have gotten to know everyone in the school in almost no time at all.

"Weren't you two talking outside the school on the day of the entrance ceremony?"

Considering we'd all ridden the bus together, it was no wonder that she'd seen my meeting with Horikita.

"I was just wondering what kind of person Horikita-san is," Kushida continued. "Is she the type who'll talk a lot when she's with a friend?"

She seemed to want information on Horikita, but I couldn't give her any answers.

"I don't think she's very good at interacting with others. Why are you asking about Horikita-san anyway?"

"Well, during our class introductions, Horikita-san walked out of the classroom. It seems like she hasn't talked to anybody yet, so I'm a little worried about her."

Kushida had said she wanted to get along with everyone.

"I understand what you're saying, but I only just met her yesterday. I can't really help you."

"Hmm. I see. I thought that you two might have been old friends before starting school here. I'm sorry to have asked you such a strange question."

"Oh, don't worry, Kushida-san."

"Yeah. It's nice to see you again, Ayanokouji-san," she said.

Although I was a little bewildered by her outstretched hand, I wiped my palms on my skirt and shook hands with her.

"Yeah, nice to see you," I said.

Today was probably my lucky day. Even though there'd been low points, some things had gone well. Since humans were creatures of convenience, the positives quickly overrode the bad memories.