box 61

"Thud"

"Thud"

"Hm?" A light hum escapes Hu's lips. Placing the book in his hands on the table in front of him, he turns his attention to the entrance way. "Zihao, are you home?" Tilting his head, he waits for a response. Answered with nothing but silence, he feels the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Growing wary, he raises himself off the couch. "Zihao?" Hu turns to corner slowly before letting out a loud gasp.

Zihao sat on the cold floor beneath him, his legs folded under as if he fell suddenly. Tears stained his skin, his face swelled with red. Almost as if he was in a trance, he continued to stare at the floor under him. 

Rushing to his side, Hu slides onto the floor in front of him. Resting his hands on Zihao's shoulders, he forces to other to look at him. "Zihao?! What happened?!" He questioned alarmed. His eyes frantically darted around for any sign of an injury.

Sluggishly, Zihao places his hand on top of Hu's. His eyebrows knit together, his grey eyes swim with such an intense emotion Hu nearly cries in his place. Zihao's lips form a shakey smile, as if he was trying to scream that he was okay. "My father is a Nomu, they used him." A broken laugh passes through his lips. Glancing down to the floor, he allows his tears to accompany his laugh. "I'm so tired Hu, why must I go on? So very tired..." 

Enveloping Zihao in a hug, Hu holds him close. "I'm so sorry, so very sorry." He whispered continuously. The cries of a broken child filled the home. Never once did they falter at all through the night. No more words could be spoken. 

--------------------

[the next night]

"Are sure you're okay to go?" Hu's voice was laced with concern. Holding his hands together in front of his stomach, he fiddled with his fingers. 

Zihao nodded tiredly before resting a hand on Hu's head. "I have to." Giving Hu a quick closed eye smile, he walks out the back door. Truthfully, he has yet to sleep. After some time, his tears finally ceased, but his brain refused to give him any peace. Sorrow, guilt, relief, anger, they all seemed to swarm in his head. He felt guilty in the peace he found after finding out the truth. Yet angry at himself for not figuring it out sooner. Everything he worked towards seemed pointless. Everything he did, just for the answer to be in front of him the whole time. 

Anger towards One for All. Anger towards heroes. Anger towards All Might. Anger towards his own stupidity. Anger towards himself for not feeling sad about his father being dead. The tears he wept weren't those of a mourning dove, but of realization. He'd never truly be happy here, or anywhere. A life filled with much shame. Shame for never feeling the way he was supposed to.

Pushing himself forward, he lands gracefully on the ground in front of the dorm building. His eyes watch Midoriya and Bakugou finally make their appearance. Zihao thrusts his hands into his pockets. Fishing for a cigarette, he pulls out a familiar package. The stick rest between his fingers as he continuously takes long drags of the tobacco filled paper.  

He wasn't too sure why he was here. In front of the dorms. During their celebration. Maybe he just needed to prove something. Something to himself. That the others can smile just fine without him there.

He watches with dark bags under his eyes as the students join together for their dinner. The cold air causes the hair on his arms stand up. Shivering slightly, he rests his free hand in his pocket. 

The sound of crunching footsteps against the cold grass pulls him out of his trance. Not even bothering to look, Zihao raises the cigarette from his lips. "What do you want All Might? Should I even keep calling you that?" Finally turning his head, his eyes bore into the skinny man's figure. Malice laced his bitter words.

Yagi's steps faltered for a second before taking one more step forward. "What are you planning?" He took a sharp intake before letting out a huff of air after his question. 

Zihao's eyebrows narrowed. His lip curls into a growl before responding. "If you're suggesting that I'm planning on harming the students-" 

Quickly waving his hands in the air, Yagi looked taken back. "No! I know y- I now know you wouldn't." Coughing into his fist, he corrects himself. Zihao watches with a calculated look as he inhales the sweet smoke from his cigarette. "I meant to say what are you planning to do for when the time comes to fight." 

"I don't see how that is any of your business." Zihao retorted. The sounds of glasses clanking in the background filled his ears. The celebration finally began. 

Feeling his annoyance grow, All Might's face contorts into one more colorful. "L/n please! I know that look! The look of a hero who is too busy saving others he forgets himself!" Zihao didn't miss how Yagi's face wound scrunch up as he talked, or the way his hands would move in the air. 

Ah, he was feeling guilty. 

L/n lets out a dangerous chuckle before stomping on his cigarette. "Don't call me that. It disgusts me to even be classified the same as you." He spat out. Walking closer to the retired pro-hero, he stops feet away. "Don't act like you have the right to tell me anything. I wouldn't be here in the first place if it wasn't for you." Growling, Zihao's shoulder harshly bumped against the other's. 

Spinning around, All Might reached for Zihao's sleeve. A warm wave of smoke hit his skin before he got close. Hissing, he reeled his arm back in. "Never try to touch me again." Using his quirk, Zihao sends himself flying into the sky. 

All Might's hands cup around his mouth, desperate for his words to reach the teenager. "The students still need you!"

His words had no meaning in Zihao's mind.

Two or three more chapters and we'll enter the actual war

Two or three more chapters and we'll enter the actual war. Brace yourselves! I have yet to write another ending for it like I did with all the other arcs, but add "Behind the scenes" to your library to see when it comes out :D There will be a chapter with extra scenes for it tho

AND the Bungou stray dogs fanfic is out so please give it a read if you can!