Chapter 9

Nazaire

We have been at the hospital for at least 24 hours now. I couldn't sleep with knowing the fact that Sofia had been so badly injured.

It's all my fault. Maybe if I had been kinder or made more of an effort she would have trusted me enough to tell me what was going on before any of this happened.

The doctor said that she has a broken rib, which she needs a brace for, a few deep cuts that got stitched up and a couple of bruises. All the causes of her injuries were all unknown. We don't know if she broke her ribs at the park or elsewhere. They also think the reason she fainted was due to stress. But thankfully her injuries would all heal over time.

As soon as we got into the hospital Lorenzo called the social services to report everything. Dante was currently being questioned.

I have been sitting beside Sofia's bed for nearly the whole time. I cried. I didn't care if my brothers saw me, I cared for Sofia. Even if I had only known her for a few days.

Emiliano also came. He was in awe with Sofia, but I could definitely see the pain in his eyes when he saw her unconscious on the hospital bed. I knew he was trying to hide his emotions.

Elijah had cried as well, and Lorenzo buried himself in more work as a distraction.

My other brothers certainly didn't care. They didn't even bother calling. I kind of think Alessandro cared though, because according to Phoenix he hasn't come out of his room since he heard what happened.

Thankfully Sofia's condition wasn't too critical, and she should be waking up soon.

Lorenzo thinks that he will be getting full custody of Sofia as Dante will probably be charged for child neglect or worse abuse. We don't actually know what happened to Sofia, but if she is injured and living under Dante's care it is basically his fault.

All I know now is that I have to try my hardest to be the best brother ever. Sofia will need us to show her that we care for her. Seeing her break down in the park and look at us like monsters made my heart ache with pain. Could this all get any worse?

I finally got up, deciding to walk my legs out a bit. I made it outside the hospital and took a few deep breaths. After a couple minutes I went back inside and walked over to where Elijah was sitting. His head between his legs and he was snoring. How could he sleep in such an uncomfortable position?

I slightly nudged him to wake him up, but he just continued to snore. After a while I stopped trying as I was very bored. I made my way back to the side of Sofia's bed, I sat on my chair and held her hand.

"Come on Sofia, please wake up. We all need you right now. Just give us a sign to show us you're awake." I whispered.

***

"What do you mean you don't know what's happening? You said she was supposed to wake up hours ago." Complained Lorenzo.

"I know sir and we are very sorry about that. She must have been under more stress than we realized." Pleaded the nurse.

I felt pretty bad for her. She was just trying to do her job and my 3 brothers were just interrogating  her. I mean I was angry too, but I wouldn't take it out on the nurse. She looked like she was about to cry when she scurried out of the room to inform the doctor of Sofia's condition.

"What if she doesn't wake up?" muttered Emiliano.

"Relax Em, she will. She is a strong girl" said Elijah. He was trying his best to comfort us even though he was so unsure of the situation himself.

"How do you know? If you are so sure why didn't you perform a surgery yourself!"

"At least I'm thinking positive!"

Great. Now they are arguing. Seriously, I can never catch a break.

I looked over to the heart monitor to see it was still beeping steadily. I glanced back at Sofia's face to see her eyes open.

Wait what?!

"S-sofia?"

Her eyes glanced around the room for a few seconds before finally focusing on me. I could see that she recognized me, which made me sigh out a breath of relief. I saw her start to wince but then I realized it was because I was hugging her very tightly. Before my brothers' voices could get even louder, I quickly called them over.

"Guys! She's awake!"

As soon as Elijah heard this he rushed over and literally suffocated Sofia in a hug.

"Oh my gosh. My baby! You can't believe how worried I was! I am so thankful that you are okay. Are you okay? Do you need anything? Can I get you something? Are you hungr-"

"Woah Elijah calm down. You are going to make her stressed again."

With that Elijah hurriedly took a step back and smiled apologetically.

Before I could say anything, Sofia started going crazy.

____________________________________________
OMG guys it's so crazy that we have hit 1.15k reads!
Thanks so much.

What do you guys think will happen to Sofia now?