Chapter 39

Elijah

That morning I woke up and could just sense a weird feeling in the air.  I couldn't exactly place my finger on what it was, so I just decided to ignore it. I made breakfast for everyone and dropped Nazaire and Sofia of at school.

I went home to focus on some office work when I noticed Lorenzo had sent me an important article about some store being closed down near the kids school. I made my way to his office to speak about it.

"Good morning, brother."

"Morning, were the kids okay today?"

"Yeah, all's good. I think Phoenix is finally letting his guard down near Sofia."

"Good. Any plans for the twins upcoming birthday?"

"Honestly no idea, but I'll look into it."

"Thanks, anyway, did you see my email."

"Yup. I'm shocked that Marco set up one of his amateurs in store, how did it even slip past us? I think we need to find some other solution to protect Sofia. The chance that he's set up someone in the school is high."

"I know, I just wanted to consult with you first."

"About what?"

"Hiring personal bodyguards for Sofia."

"There is no way she will allow that!"

"What else do you suggest?"

"I don't know, I just didn't think you would want to do something so conspicuous."

"I'm running out of options and time. Any moment someone could come in here-"

"I know I know I know... I just think.... Wait until tonight. I'll have some ideas then.

"Okay, we'll continue this conversation later."

***

I had been at a meeting when I had noticed a missed call from Sofia. I instantly tried to call her back when I realised it, but she wouldn't pick up. After a short while I was starting to get a bit paranoid thinking about what might have happened when I suddenly got a message in the group chat from Xander. Apparently, Phoenix 'was down'. That was all I needed to know before I instantly rushed to my siblings. I checked their locations and they were heading to the city's hospital.

All I could think about was Sofia. I knew my brother was strong and could get through nearly anything. I arrived at the hospital and the rest of my brothers filed in not even minutes later. They knew that if a family emergency arose it was best to be together. Lorenzo was the last person to arrive as he was the one who collected Nazaire. We found Xander pacing around the waiting room and Sofia just sitting silently with tears running down her face.

Shit. What had she just witnessed? We all rushed over to Xander and tried to question him about what had happened, but he didn't have any useful answers. All he knew was that Sofia rang him and then he went to the carpark and found an unconscious Phoenix and a hysterical Sofia.

We decided it would be best if I asked Sofia about what had happened.

"Hey, Sunshine. Can you tell us what happened?"

"I- I just ...." She burst out into more tears. It pained me to see my own sister in this state. But I had to be strong for her.

"Shhhh. It's okay... Just take a deep breath and slowly explain to me what happened. Okay? Can you do that Sof?"

She took a deep breath in, exhaled and then continued to explain.

"I- was j-just waiting for Phoenix to drive us h-home. He l-looked sweaty and p-pale when I saw him and then he c-collapsed. I'm sorry I c-couldn't do anything else."

"No no don't say that. You did the exactly what was necessary. Calling the ambulance was the smartest choice you could have made."

I pulled my little sister into my arms. She instantly calmed down when I started whispering sweet nothings in her ear.

My other brothers all found something else to do while we waited for the doctor to update us on Phoenixes condition.

A doctor  suddenly appeared through one of the doors.

Everyone stood up anxious to hear the news of my brothers condition.

My mind went blank when I heard the word drugs. I knew Phoenix. He wouldn't touch any substance unless it was a matter of life or death. And then I found out it was laced candy.  I couldn't believe it.

Suddenly so many things happened at once.

Sofia confessed that she had given the candy to Phoenix and it took Xander a split second to almost attack Sofia. As soon as I noticed he  was gripping onto her shoulders I instantly pulled him off of her.

After hearing the update everyone kind of separated into their own spaces. It was tough news to take in.

I decided to talk to Lorenzo about everything, I knew it was bad timing but we really wouldn't have time to talk about things later. He was probably already hiring security for Sofia.

"Did you find out anything?" I asked Lorenzo. He slowly looked up from his laptop to ensure the door was closed. His entitled ass  had requested a free room to work in and the hospital actually granted his request after he explained who he was.

"That fucker Pavalo sent some useless men to get that store running apprenantly. At least we now know he is closer than expected. What the fuck does he want!? He's already taken so much and now he wants even more?"

"I-I don't know what to say. Do you think he did this to Phoenix?"

"I'm not sure. Even if he did I'm just wondering how this happened. The police are wanting to question Sofia."

"Already!?"

"I know it's not convenient but the earlier she is questioned the faster we will discover what exactly happened."

Lorenzo's phones started ringing, interrupting our conversation.

"Hello.

Yes.

Wait what?

Send over everything as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Yes yes goodbye."

Was what I heard from Lorenzo's short conversation with whoever was on the other side of the phone.

"What is it?"

"We have a lead on Marco Pavalo's son."

Heyyyyy guyyyyssss,
I'm sorry that the story is super slow moving. I just enjoy writings scenes from a lot of the characters point of views. I'll try to keep pushing through the story though 👍

I Hope you enjoy this chapter, even if it's not my best work 😭