Chapter 35

Sofia

I woke up that morning in a good mood. I couldn't figure out why but I just decided to just continue my day as normal. When I made it to school I was a little early so Kenna and I decided to secretly go to the shop across from the school. If my brothers found out they would 100% kill me. Kenna assured me they would never know so I agreed to go with her.

I chucked my phone in my locker because I knew by brothers could easily track it, I wasn't that dumb and Kenna had her phone anyway. As soon as we left the premises, I scanned the area to see if my brothers had followed us. Kenna just laughed at me; she thought I was being too dramatic, but she didn't know my brothers like I did.

When we made it out of the main school gate it was pretty straight forward – cross the road and go into the shop. It was actually my first time going into this specific store, I just never had the chance to do so before. Nazaire told me it was low-key dodgy and told me that I would be better off not going there. Oh well....

When we finally made it into the store I could tell what Nazaire meant by dodgy. It was pretty small and looked kind of like the owners just set up a small store in an abandoned building. The building had a musky skunk like smell if that makes sense. Why was a store like this built near such a prestigious school?

I walked down one of the three aisles with Kenna to the candy section. I noticed a small bag of jellies. I decided to get them for Phoenix as a way of thanking him for the skittles, I also got a small lollipop for myself. I waited for Kenna to choose what she wanted and then we made our way to the cash register. I wanted to get out of there so I could actually breathe properly.

There was a middle-aged fat man sitting at the till. He was so engrossed in his phone that Kenna had to clear her throat to get his attention. He looked up quite slowly. He looked at both of us for a moment, he was assessing me and then his eyes suddenly widened.

He cleared his throat before speaking.

"May I help you?" He said in quite a gruff voice, I could tell that some of his teeth were rotten black or either completely missing.

Kenna placed her items on the counter, and he scanned them and she paid. When it was my turn he looked at my products and stayed silent for a moment.

"Do you have any ID?" he mumbled incomprehensibly. 

"ID? What do you need my ID for?" I questioned.

"Store policy." He stated avoiding my gaze.

"I'm only buying candy...?"

"Store policy is store policy." He explained.

I looked over to Kenna and gave her a 'What The Fuck' look before fishing through my pocket for my school ID. I finally found it and cautiously handed it to him. He quickly snatched it from my grasp and studied it for a whole minute before handing it back.

He finally then decided to actually start scanning products. But obviously some more random shit started happening.

"Looks like the skittles aren't scanning, I'll fetch another one from the back."

He left the till and walked to the back room. I was so confused. I turned to Kenna who looked equally confused.

"What the hell is going on?" I whispered.

"I have no idea, all I know is that we are not coming back here again."

"Agreed." I said nodding affirmatively.