Chapter 22

Elijah

The past few days with Sofia in the house felt different, but in a good way. I felt like she was still not too comfortable around us but everyday she became more free around me anyway. I knew the others (cough* Phoenix, Xander and Emilliano cough*) would still take more time to warm up to her. I was just happy that she got along very well with Naz.

I had recently received a letter from Maya explaining she would be coming to visit Sofia soon so I would have to inform her about that. I tried to spend as much time as possible wih Sofia but my jobs took up most of my time. When our father died the Mafia became our top priority. Lorenzo tried to take over most of the work so we wouldn't be as involved and could live our lives the way we wanted to. But family sticks together, it's an unspoken rule.

All of my brothers took their own responsibilities when it was time. Everyone except Naz, Alessandro and the twins are pretty active in our Mafia. As soon as the twins and Allesandro graduate they will get their own official roles. We plan to keep our mafia a secret from Sofia for as long as possible, but with the amount of threats she could receive just by being related to us we don't know how long that will last. Naz knows about the Mafia but we have refused to allow him to take any part in it until he becomes older. The twins were introduced earlier as they saw it as another outlet for them.

I am the main medic and doctor for our Mafia. Some days can be so draining that I barely even know what I'm doing, but when then I think about my sister and our whole family. They give me my drive to keep pushing forward with what I do. Emiliano has helped me a lot but he is also pretty hard to communicate to. Out of all us he keeps to himself the most. Lorenzo basically raised us so I know what he is like and can tell what he thinks. And the twins have each other. Emiliano currently works part time at a tattoo place. He has tattooed every member of our mafia with our symbol. Matteo is still young enough but I know he is happy to work full time at the base. Alessandro also keeps to himself a lot but I know he is struggling too. It's quite hard to help someone who doesn't want help. I try my best to help look after my family too, but it can be difficult.

I just hope for now that Sofia steers clear on any danger that may be in her path.

As I'm finishing up some work in my room, I hear a loud commotion coming from Sofia's room. I would've left them alone if I hadn't heard the distress in Nazaire's voice. I left my room and decided to go and check out what the problem was. I stepped in the room to see Nazaire almost shed a few tears and Sofia looked like she wanted to punch someone.

"What is all this commotion? I can hear you from the other side of the house." I asked wanting to get to the bottom of the problem

I saw Sofia give Naz a threatening look which I didn't know was possible with how innocent and harmless she looked. Nazaire came over to me with a letter clutched in his hands. I took the paper from him and read it.

I felt my stomach drop to the floor as I read every single word of the paper. All I could think of was how and why?

"Sofia. W-where did you get this?" I whispered Elijah still being shocked.

"That is what I've been trying to figure out, but she refuses to tell me. So I was just about to bring this letter to Lorenzo since she clearly doesn't want to tell me." Explained Naz

"Sofia, please this is very serious. I don't think you understand-"

"I understand the priorities in this house very well. No privacy and just many secrets! What kind of things are you refusing to tell me?" Sofia snapped back.

I could tell Sofia was more concerned about other things right now ad she wasn't going to answer. She seemed like she hadn't read the letter yet which gave me slight feeling of relieh but I was still very conscious of the paper I held in my hands. I decided the best option was to take it to Lorenzo so I left and hurriedly made my way to his room.

I realised Nazaire was following me so I turned around to face him.

"Nazaire you can go back to your room." I stated.

"Huh?! What? Why can't I come? I found the letter."

"Nazaire you know what this is about. I appreciate you telling me about the letter but this contains things that even your other brothers don't know about. I promise I'll make it up to you later."

"Fineeeee. But what about......... Sofia?"

"What about her?"

"Well I only found the letter when I was looking around at her stuff.... And I don't thinks she ever wants to talk to me again. I think I fucked up. She's going to want to leave and it will be all my fault. She hates me She'll never want to talk to me again. I don't know what to do. I can't eve-"

"Nazaire. Don't worry I'll talk to her. But I assure you that she doesn't hate you. It was a good thing you found the letter. Okay?"

Nazaire just nodded at me and I continued the path to my oldest brother's room.

As I opened the door I could tell he was just after drinking coffee as the room had that rich smell of his 'special roast shit'.

"Elijah. What's up?"

"Read this."

I handed him the letter and waited for his response.

Sofia Marchetti,

You have been kept in the dark of your families' secrets. I am a victim of your families acts of violence and must act upon it.

And the only way to do this is through their most precious thing, or person. That person is you. You have been kept hidden from the world but now we have finally received a glance of your pretty little face.

We know the exact reason your pretty little family left you and we can tell you everything. All it takes is a little bit of work from your part. Attached is photos of the real way your mother died and proof your family never wanted you in the first place.

Contact this number for more details - +8989888—9748327805680

Yours sincerely,

Marco Pavolo.

"No fucking way."