Chapter 23

Lorenzo

Shocked was an understatement of what I was feeling right now. All I could think about was how this letter made it this close into my house.

"Where did she get this?" I asked finally looking directly at my younger brother.

"We don't know, she won't tell us. Nazaire was in her room and found it, but she hasn't even read it....."

"Fuck!" I blurted causing Elijah to jump from my sudden burst of anger"

"What are we going to do?" asked Elijah, clearly distressed.

"I have no fucking clue... I thought this guy was killed years ago. And now that he's returned and threatening our family like this, I have no idea what to do."

Marco Pavalo was a relative closely associated with our enemy The Pavalo Mafia. The Pavaloes used to be our ally until one day they turned on us for no reason. We found out that they had been under the attack related to our mothers death - the downward spiral to our whole family.

As soon as my father found out about this he became obsessed with getting revenge on them. Our father killed the Pavalo Mafia leader, Mario (Marco's father), his wife and supposedly his son Marco. But I guess my father's mission obviously went unaccomplished since I am now holding a letter written by the very one and only Marco himself.

I remember the mission very clearly. My father took me with him, it was my first time killing someone at only 15 years old. After that I knew my father had become crazy and it was my job to look over my siblings.

Marco and I had actually been best friends before the whole incident happened. It was sad for me to let go of my only friend,  but I knew my family was more important than him.

"Send her in."

***

"Sofia, please take a seat."

I could now tell the reason why it took her like 10 minutes to get here. She had obviously been crying. Reason – unknown.

"I assume you know why you are here?" I asked, in a pretty stern voice, trying to indicate this was a very serious situation.

"Yes."

"Well are you going to tell me how you acquired this letter?"

"Can I read it first?"

"No."

"Why not? It was addressed to me."

Gosh. I wish I could explain everything to her. I could tell she was confused and just wanted answers that I couldn't give her. I will protect all my secrets from her if it means giving her a happy childhood. I know that from her perspective I would seem like the bad guy. But I shall do what I intend to.

"That is not a question I need to answer when it concerns your safety. Now please tell me how you received the letter or there will consequences."

"The day the twins took me to the mall."

"Good. Now we are getting somewhere. Please elaborate."