Chapter Twenty-Four

Matteo

"So, how does everything look, dottore?"  (Doctor)

"Bene. Molto buona. Her wounds have healed perfectly. There is no sign of an infezione." (Good. Very good. Infection)

"I do recommend she keeps taking whatever is left of her medication from the previous fill." Dr. Artino spoke to me by the door.

He has been the family's doctor since I can remember. He was Italian and my father had saved his life once when he was young, and he promised to owe my father this debt for the rest of his life.

He and my father were close and in time and passing, we have gotten close as well. I didn't trust anyone else to treat Sofia but him. He was an older man, yes, but a man of great skill and patience.

"Is she okay to move around?"

The older man smiled as he placed his hand on my shoulder for a light squeeze. "She's okay to move around, jump up and down in circles. La tua donna è forte come un toro." He chuckled. (Your woman's as strong as a bull)

"She's as stubborn as one too." I muttered.

"Are you talking about me?" Sofia asked as she finally got dressed and came to join us.

"Of course not, mia tesora. I was just asking the doctor about if you needed a refill on your painkiller medication."

"And?" She pressed.

"No, you don't, but you do need to finish whatever you have left in your bottles."

"If you don't need anything else, Mr. D'Angelo. I need to be heading out."

"Sì, sì certo. Grazie dottore." I called for Leonardo to come and escort him home. (Yes, yes of course. Thank you, doctor)

I grabbed Leonardo's elbow and whispered for him to pay him double like always. Leonardo nodded his head and left the hall with the older man by his side.

"So, am I cleared?" I felt hands sneak around my waist as she asked me.

"He said he'd call me tonight." I reached for her hands as I turned around to face her.

"Are you serious? You two were mumbling for an hour by the door."

"We were talking about your health, Sofia."

"Uh-huh." She muttered unconvincingly.

"Let's head out and make a day of it while we wait."

I watched her ponder the thought. "If we go out, you can't kill or threaten anyone."

"I can't make any promises."

"Matteo," She pouted, and I leaned down to kiss her bottom lip.

"Go and get dressed. Andare." I smacked her ass, "That means go."

"I figured." She said with a roll of her eyes as she walked back inside our room. I finished up some phone calls as Sofia got dressed inside the bathroom.

"You know what I've always wanted?" I heard her shout her question.

"What?" I walked into the bathroom.

"You know those guard dogs? The scary ones with the pointy ears. Dobermans. I've always wanted one, but they're like almost three grand for one and then you have to train them."

"I didn't know you liked dogs."

She stepped out of the closet in a black dress that reached mid-thigh exposing those long legs and that creamy, soft skin. It fit her figure and outlined her curves with a flared skirt.