Chapter Thirty-Nine

Sofia

"Happy birthday dear Sofia, happy birthday to you!"

My father and surprisingly Matteo sang to me once the waiter placed my slice of chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream in front of me.

"Blow out the candle, mia tesora."

I closed my eyes and made a wish then blew it out. They clapped their hands and I think I was both crying and laughing at this point.

I wiped at my eyes gently so as to not mess up my makeup. Matteo reached over and pulled out the candle from my cake and proceeded to hand me a fork.

I took a generous bite of the chocolate cake and almost moaned. God, their cake was so fucking good.

What did they put into it? It was so decadent and combined with the vanilla ice cream, it was perfection.

I had slept most of the morning and afternoon once we came home from Germany. Matteo wasn't home when I woke up, but he had left me a note along with the birthday dress he bought for me to wear.

It was beautiful, modest since my father was with us, and of course, he even bought me a new pair of red heels to go with it.

The dress itself was a Christian Dior silk black asymmetrical mini dress that reached right above my knees with thin straps and a sweetheart neckline.

"Happy birthday, honey."

"Thank you, dad. I'm happy you're here celebrating with me." I reached over the table and held his hand, "I love you."

"I love you, too Sofia. Thank you for planning this dinner." He said, turning to face Matteo.

"You don't have to thank me, William. It's her birthday and I knew she would have loved for you to be with us. This is her favorite restaurant so; it wasn't a hard thing to plan."

Matteo then turned to look at me. "Happy birthday, mia tesora."

"Thank you, baby." I kissed his cheek.

After we finished eating our chocolate cake slices, Matteo paid the bill so that we could leave. Since we picked up my father along the way, we had to drop him off.

By the time we reached my father's house, there was a taxi parked on the curb of his car with the lights on.

"You expecting someone?" I asked my dad, as we all stepped out of the car.

Matteo placed his jacket over my shoulders once the cool breeze hit, and once we made it to the curb, we saw Sean standing there.

"What are you doing here?"

The sound of the cab driver honking his horn loudly as he yelled from his window for the money interrupted our conversation.

"Go inside, Sofia. I'll pay him." Matteo said as he placed his hand on the middle of my back and gave me a gentle shove.

My father was quiet as we all walked inside of his house. I sat down next to my father, cross-legged, and furious while Sean just sat there across from us with his head bowed.

Matteo stepped in and stood behind the couch I was sitting on. He placed his hands on my shoulder as he spoke. "I called your brother."

That had me looking up at Matteo with wide eyes. "What? Why?"

"Because I know you miss him, and I know at the end of today you would be so upset with yourself that you didn't reach out to him. I knew that it would taint your birthday."

"Sofia." My father's voice brought me back from my thoughts. "He's your brother. Family is everything."

"Was it everything when he abandoned us?" I placed my arms over my chest. "You left Sean and you did it without turning back once. As if you didn't care about me, about us, about dad. We're a family. It's always been just us three. You turned your back on us."