CONTACT?

After Nora left, Ellen poured herself another glass of wine. Damn, it had been a long time since she had drunk that much and she felt the numbing effect. At this point, the intoxication was equally welcome, perhaps Nora's suspicions were justified and she was indeed incredibly naive. She basically had no idea what the motives of the Tároc were, her gut feeling could be wrong. After all, that wouldn't be the first time in her life...

Maybe he did want to keep an eye on the women through her... Maybe he wanted to get her out of the way and capture the women of her clan...

Still, she couldn't get the thought of his sincerity out of her mind. What would he gain by keeping an eye on her? Nothing...

Their technology, as far as she knew, was still working as it should, so they could observe her clan from a distance just fine, they didn't need her wristband to do that. And if he'd wanted to kill her, well..., he'd have had the opportunity to do so for years. Worst case scenario..., he could've done it right then and there when they met, he could've taken out Nora and their best snipers too.

No..., her gut feeling just had to be right... it just had to be...

Ellen took a long gulp. She was so unbelievably tired of all the doomsday scenarios in her head, so tired of the lonely accountability she'd never asked for.

She never expected to lead the large group of women she was now responsible for when she settled here with her daughter, granddaughter and six other women.

When they went to fix things up here, because the environment was clear and the soil fertile, the other women soon unanimously elected her leader without asking her. Something that then certainly stroked her ego and which she also liked to do, but now the small group of nine people had grown into a full-fledged clan of more than seventy-five women and children, each with their own story and emotional baggage.

Should she expose her women to their old enemy? Would they accept the men, for what they were, and eventually start to trust them?

Ellen rubbed her eyes, what was wisdom? Just then, her granddaughter's empty glass caught her eye, and she remembered what Sasha had told her about the young girls' late night outings.

Immediately her head felt empty and clear and she knew what to do. Those young girls were the answer, they were the future... and if those girls were curious about the Shri'Traccal, who was she not to give it a try? Working together, that's all... At least for now...

With that thought in her head, she turned off the lights and went to bed. Tomorrow morning she would invite the Tároc for a follow-up meeting...

The next morning, Ellen deliberately lingered over her breakfast, and when she was done, it took at least another ten minutes to brew a pot of coffee and sit at her desk with it.

Why was she so nervous? She wanted to contact the Tároc herself, no one forced her...

Ellen sighed deeply and closed her eyes to control her nerves. Come on, don't be such a chicken! She admonished herself. The Tároc himself said she should contact her when she'd come to a decision.

Just as she was about to press the communication button, Ellen heared someone rushing up the stairs and she froze. Who the hell...?

Startled, Ellen looked up as the door of her office opened and a face, surrounded with wild, dark hair peaked around the corner.

"Sasha! Really?! Do you want me dead?" Ellen rolled her eyes and put a hand on her wild beating heart.

Her granddaughter walked up to her and gave her a kiss on the head before plopping down on the chair opposite her.