Chapter 5: The Shooting

[Office]

The CEO of Gucci looks thoughtfully out of the window. Although the farmer left the office seconds ago, Jungkook is still so excited that he almost feels sick. He hopes his heartbeat will slow down as he takes a deep breath, trying to stay calm. Just when he feels like his breathing technique is working, there's a knock on the door. He flinches and his heartbeat increases again. What if Taehyung came back?

"Jungkook?"

Somehow, Jungkook is disappointed to hear a woman's voice. Secretly, he wished it was Taehyung. It's kind of a paradox since he was the one who sent him away. Jungkook himself doesn't know what he wants anymore and is left confused.

"May I come in?"

"Yes."

Lisa enters the office with a shy smile. Quietly, she closes the door behind her and approaches the CEO. He seems unimpressed and hardly shows any reaction. Yes, she's beautiful. Yes, she's cute. Yes, she's an excellent model. But she's not Kim Taehyung.

"May I sit down?"

"Of course."

The moment Lisa sits across from him, Jungkook realizes how little attention he has paid to her in recent days. A guilty conscience creeps in and Jungkook feels obligated to make amends.

"I know it's late. But there's something I've been meaning to ask you for days. You always seemed busy and I didn't want to bother you."

Jungkook has no idea what Lisa wants.

"I'm sorry I didn't make time for you."

"Please don't apologize. You had a lot to do."

Lisa seems to be nervous. Instead of looking at Jungkook, she looks sheepishly at the floor. Actually, ANYONE could interpret these signals, but Jungkook is on the edge of his seat, going through the possibilities he thinks are plausible: New contract? A raise? A vacation?

"Would you like to be my wedding escort at my best friend's wedding?"

Jungkook was expecting a lot of things, but not this question. He's so taken aback that his jaw drops. He doesn't know what to say at the first moment. For Lisa, this silence means a definite "no."

"Alright...I get that. I'm sorry for taking up your time," she stands up, turning her back to Jungkook.

"Wait!"

Full of hope, she looks over her right shoulder in Jungkook's direction.

"I was just surprised because I didn't expect something like this," Jungkook doesn't know what he's doing. But it's enough to bring Lisa's smile back.

"So... is it a yes?"

Hesitantly, Jungkook gives his answer.

"Yes, I will accompany you."

"Really? Wow, thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

Lisa is so excited that she even puts her hands over her mouth.

"The wedding is two weeks from Saturday."

"I'll make a note of it."

Lisa's euphoria isn't mutual.

"Is everything okay? You look kind of exhausted."

"I'm sorry. It's been a long day."

"I see...I'd better be going, then. Good night."

"Good night, Lisa."

Before leaving the office, Lisa turns to Jungkook with a smile. But it's hard for Jungkook to return it. What just happened here? And why is he feeling uncomfortable? Lisa is a good friend, and has been for years. He could easily do her a favor and accompany her to a wedding...what's the problem? Nobody cares what Jungkook does in his spare time anyway.