Chapter 31: The Hero Arrives (Side Story 1 Begins)

*10 years ago

"Shit we're on fire."

"Can we close off and bulkheads?"

"Hugo you idiot this is a skiff there aren't any bulkheads"

It wasn't supposed to go like this. We were supposed to find a planet that could be habitable for the ark.

Dammit.

"STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY DETERIORATING"

DAMMIT

"Caius let's detach the Transmitter."

"Do you think that'll save us Talia?"

"Oh no. Short of an act of God we're Screwed but at least if we detach it then maybe just maybe it'll find a new home for the rest of the Ark."

"Alright." I went to the control panel and detached the data transmitter from the Carlesia. Everything was on fire but at least it wouldn't be destroyed with the rest of us."

"And it's done."

With that at least our mission may continue after we perish...

"Here. A drink." The captain handed me a bottle of his favorite Alcohol.

Hugo accepted his bottle and guzzled the entire thing. Talia turned hers down. I only took a sip or two.

I sat down in the control room right beside Talia. We didn't say anything else to each other we simply sat there awaiting our end.

Kate... I'm sorry.

I closed my eyes awaiting the end not noticing the light that began to engulf me.

*******************

"HUZZAH THE HERO IS SUMMONED" an unfamiliar voice rang out.

I looked up to see instead of my burnt and bloody corpse on a destroyed starship I was in... a cathedral?

Instead of the cold metal of a starship it was an ornate marble floor like something you'd only see in books. Stain glass windows depicting some art I wasn't familiar with.

And these people. They looked human but something seemed different about them.

"He's the hero?"
"Seems kinda small."
"I thought he'd have long flowing locks of gold not short dark hair."

They were speaking some different language but I understood it word for word.

What the hell was going on.

A well dressed old man and a stern looking man in... medieval? Armor approached.

I began to pick myself up to stare at them saying nothing.

"YOU ARE IN THE PRESENCE OF HIS MAJESTY EMPEROR OF LUX. SHOW SOME RESPECT!" The armored man yelled and moved to draw his weapon.

Without a moment hesitation I drew my emergency knife and activated heat mode. I don't know who this renaissance fair freak was but I wasn't about to be killed by him.

"Hold Galanus!" The kingly man spoke

Surprised the armored asshat turned to the older man and bowed giving a short apology.

The old man turned to me and began to speak.

"You... hero. Can you understand me?" He asked

I nodded before deciding to speak "oh uhhh... yes." I was surprised I seemed to be able to speak their language as well

"Do you have a name hero?"

"...Caius" I told him honestly figuring it wouldn't make much difference if he knew or not.