Chapter 35: cracks

This chapter contains content that may be uncomfortable to some readers. Discretion is advised.

"Hero Caius. We're this is the last line of defense before we reach the Gehnan capital. This victory will take us closer to winning this was." The general informed me as I stared at the battlefield.

There appeared to be fewer soldiers the closer we got. Likely they were running out of people to fight with. I pitied them but as they say war is hell.

But as the battle went on I was surprised despite their small numbers they were holding us off rather well. I hadn't seen their General but they seemed to be doing a good job commanding their forces.

"EVERYONE TAKE COVER!" A soldier yelled out and I looked up to the sky to see a giant orb of darkness heading our way before suddenly exploding. In the process of the explosion tons of small darts shot out. The heavy armored troops and ones with adequate cover were fine. The lightly armored soldiers weren't so lucky.

Many were stabbed by the dark spikes some fatally others were simply wounded.

"Dammit they're being led by Excella" one of the soldiers said.

"Excella?" I asked hoping they'd explain quickly.

"One of the Gehnan Generals. The dark witch. She's considered one of the strongest magic users on the continent but she's like some unfeeling doll. She's a living weapon and has decimated Lux soldier for the last 4 years." A soldier explained as quick as he could.

More rounds of dark magic flew our way but thankfully we had some mages able to summon a barrier to stop the spikes keeping damage to a minimum this time.

We needed a way to close the distance but blindly charging in would be dangerous... maybe a smokescreen?

"Captain do we have any mages able to use water magic?" I asked and got a quick nod.

Another volley came down and our barriers were starting to break.

We could take maybe one more volley.

"Have all the water mages condense a giant ball of water and have the archers at the ready. I'm going to try something stupid."

One last volley and the barrier gave way.

We had the water ascend into the sky and I blasted it as hard as I could with my silver flame causing a massive eruption of steam to cover the battlefield obscuring visibility of both us and the enemy. Then we had our archers fire their volley of arrows to rain down on our blinded foes.

"Everyone charge now!" I yelled out to the troops lighting the way with my sword covered in the silver flame.

We'd have to close this gap before the visibility cleared to have a chance.

*****************

"What just happened? Why can't we see anything?" I exclaimed in disbelief after my dark volleys broke their magic barrier I figured we'd win the day but once that barrier broke everything fogged up.

They were using the cover to advance most likely.

"General Excella what should we do?" An armored soldier asked me.