Chapter Twenty-Eight

Song: Unkiss Me- Maroon 5

One unwanted guest was enough. I didn't expect another to show up the very next day.

When I enter the gym for training, mumbled conversations drift from the weight rack section, and as I peek around the corner where I hear the noise, I find Hunter and the guy who he had been talking to when he broke my heart at fifteen. I throw my head back, pinching the bridge of my nose. Just when I think it can't get any worse than Blair, the world has to one-up itself.

"Where's your girl this morning?" Bennett asks Hunter, completing another rep of bicep curls, and Hunter rolls his eyes, mimicking Bennett's motions.

"Hell if I know. She's probably looking for me now," He sarcastically chuckles. "Trust me bro, nothing has changed."

And, of course, it's another flashback to fifteen. Why is my history accustomed to repeating itself?

It still hurts. Why wouldn't it? A lot has changed from all those years ago, especially between Hunter and I. He finally acknowledged me as a woman, and all of a sudden, with Blair and Bennett back, it almost seems like he's falling back into the old habit of seeing me as nothing more than a kid. What everyone seems to forget is that I'm not the same person either; I'm not going to stand around and let him or his friend make their stupid little comments anymore.

So, with a burst of confidence, I boldly step out from around the corner, resting my hands on my hips. "It's clear that you two morons have more muscles than you do brains, otherwise you'd realize that I come here to train just like you are," They both whip around, their eyes widening. I grab a set of dumbbells and begin my reps of bicep curls. "And if you forgot, I live here. If you happen to be in the place I need to be, that's coincidence. I don't look for anybody anymore."

I never spare either of them a glance, but in the mirror's reflection, I can see Hunter's jaw clench. Good, I think. It serves him right for the new attitude he's having with me. Bennett, on the other hand, drops his dumbbells, the intensity of their smack against the gym mat booming around the enclosed corner. His eyes rake over me as he mumbles, "Holy shit."

Bennett collects himself and grabs his dumbbells, placing them back on the rack. He leans against the mirror in front of me, but I avoid him and focus on my reps. "Someone's grown up since the last time I saw her."

"Don't talk about me like I'm not even here, Bennett," I roll my eyes. "Talk to my face or leave me the hell alone."

He smirks. "Damn, she grew balls too. That's hot."

Hunter stands between Bennett and I, blocking his view of me. "And that's enough. I need to train her and you can't be a distraction. She already gets distracted enough because of her googly eyes for me."

Bennett bites back a laugh, and I bitterly chuckle as I slam my dumbbells back on the rack, glaring at Hunter. He's purposely trying to get under my skin. "I think you have me mixed up with Blair. She's the only brainless female who would run back with 'googly eyes' to an egotistical son of a bitch."

Hunter's glare intensifies as Bennett lets his laughter slip. I ignore Hunter and instead pick up a kettlebell to begin squats. Bennett's laugh quickly fades as he watches my every move in the mirror. "I think I'm in love with this woman."

"Bennett, you better get out of here before I kick your ass," Hunter growls, standing in front of me once again, and Bennett cheekily grins, patting Hunter on the shoulder before jogging toward the door.

"Got it. Carry on with your vampy games," Then, he turns and starts walking backward, his grin lopsided. "And for the record, bro— a hell of a lot has changed."