Chapter Forty

Song: Moment I Knew- Taylor Swift

Another year older. This time, though, it's the beginning of my freedom. No longer can I be labeled a little girl, a kid, someone who needs to be cradled as if she is a porcelain doll; if nothing else presents me as a woman, at least my age can be a blaring siren that I am, in fact, a woman. It's a joyous day.

At the same time, that freedom seems like it's a fringed piece of string that is seconds from breaking. Despite dad saying it would be too obvious for Demetrius to attack on my birthday, a part of me still feels on edge from the thought that his frustration from failing the first time will make him desperate to kill me as soon as he can, and what more of a precious time than my birthday, a day when all of my family and the one I love will be together? It's a little too convenient for him to not attack, at least in my mind.

Not only am I anxious the second I wake up, but my heart aches with the realization that my birthday is going to look drastically different than it has in past years, even when Hunter was my enemy. Toward the end of our escape from Demetrius, I actually started looking forward to my birthday because Hunter was mine and I knew he cared about me. After his birthday, I wasn't so sure anymore, but learning the truth about my nightmares and even more than that, discovering the tattoo he had hidden for who knows how long, gives me an inclination that maybe he cares more than I think he does, and maybe some of that is still there; but, at least on my birthday, it doesn't make much of a difference because he isn't with me. I'm not even sure if he will show up for my birthday party that mom throws every year, and that's what hurts most of all. He has never missed my birthday, just like I never missed his. They are the two days of the year where we can be civil with each other, like we're still the best friends that we were when we were younger.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, bella signora!" Cleo bursts through my bedroom door, her voice sing-song as she rushes toward me,  gorgeous looking strawberry and cream pastries on a fancy silver platter in her hands. She sits them down in front of me and claps her hands, her smile stretching far across her face. "Ohmigosh, you have grown so much! It almost brings a tear to my eye. I remember when you were just a little baby, and I held you in my arms like this," She places her arms in front of her like one would when holding a baby.

I roll my eyes, snatching a pastry off the platter. "You're so dramatic."

"Let me reminisce! I know you're at the age where you might let Hunter make sweet love to you later, but I need my moment to cherish my not-so-baby cousin anymore!"

I choke on my pastry, powder dust sputtering from my mouth as my face burns violently. "Cleo! You need a damn filter!" She busts out laughing, and I finish chewing the bite of pastry I had in my mouth, taking a second to calm myself by savoring the flavor of the mixture of strawberry and icing. I groan as I wipe powder off my lips. "Where did you get these? They are divine."

"One of the grandmas of my Italian lovers was a bakery owner. She shared a few recipes with me before I left."

"Clearly you should've kept that one."

"Ah, I'm too young to be tied down to one man when there are so many good-looking ones out there. I know you have dedicated your heart to one-- and that is oh so cute-- but I want to try a taste of every menu item before I decide on my favorite meal."

I shake my head, biting back a smile. "You are something else."

She smirks. "Life would be no fun if I wasn't."

Cleo and I finish all four of the pastries before she stands up eagerly, pulling me with her. "Come now, we have to make you look stunning so we can sweep Mr. Handsome off his feet!"