Chapter Forty-Four

Song: Glimpse of Us- Joji

The last time I went to the ally packs' ball, I was 12 years old. Normally, vampires couldn't attend the ball until they were 16, but the board made an exception with my special case. Full powers didn't usually appear until a born vampire turned 13, when puberty really accelerated, and for me, it hadn't happened at all yet. Although my powers were much stronger than others, my full potential hadn't been unleashed, which also meant that Demetrius couldn't fully invade my life. Mom and dad were worried that once the time did come when I began blossoming into womanhood, Demetrius would be more adamant about ending my life, and I would need more lockdown, more protection. So, they begged the board members to let me attend at least once. For me, there was never a guarantee of tomorrow. It was a rite of passage to attend the ball each year, and with the target on my back, I would be lucky if I attended even once.

It also helped that things were a lot simpler then, despite the presence of Demetrius in my mind. That was pre-kiss era for Hunter and I, so he gladly danced with me for hours on end, not even caring if his other Junior friends would find out he spent the night twirling around a pre-teen in her little, frilly yellow dress. It was a night to remember; but it was the only one of its kind in my life. Because the very next day, Mother Nature planted in me the gift of being a woman. My powers exploded soon after, and with each day I grew, the more my powers strengthened, until I was unmatchable, even within our pack. It also meant Demetrius honed in on me even more, his mental and physical attacks becoming daily. When I turned 16, even though I was finally able to regularly attend the ball, our pack never returned. In fact, that day was when our security was heightened. The ally packs couldn't come in for backup if Demetrius attacked because they would all be preoccupied, and Demetrius knew it.

What changed my parents' minds about attending once I turned 20, I don't know. Maybe the recent attacks made them realize that Demetrius would attack no matter what, and maybe it would be better if we were with the allies when it happened. Talk about intense protection. Whatever the reasoning, I'm both excited and dreading-- excited to finally get to attend as an adult, but dreading being Hunter's date, especially considering in the week that past since Blair's attack, Hunter hasn't spoke a single word to me unless it's a simple commanding phrase in training. Guess that means I'm supposed to stop trying to keep him in my life the way I want. There's no other conclusion I can reach. Maybe I'm just too tired to try to come up with any other conclusions. Besides, I have much bigger fish to fry, like the fact that Demetrius is going to be hot on my tail once the discovery of a dead Blair reaches his desk.

"Alaska! I've found the utmost perfect dress for you for the ball," Cleo barges into my room, holding a large dress bag that nearly covers her entire body. She peeks around the bag, an eager smile on her face. "It's going to knock the socks off of all the men in that room."

I peer at her through my vanity mirror, raising my eyebrows, while muttering, "Wait for it..."

"And especially that uomo grosso of yours."

I click my tongue. "There it is."

"Seriously, just take a look at this dress!"

Cleo lays the bag on my bed and, with a sigh, I stand from my vanity, peering over her shoulder as she unzips the bag. When she pulls it away from the dress, I audibly gasp. She's right-- the dress is breathtakingly beautiful. An off-the-shoulder, sweetheart neckline, icy blue ball gown, the dress shimmers against the soft glow of my bedroom lights. The sheer lace sleeves would be comfortable enough while not being too hot for the cool evening air of September. What catches my eyes the most is the embroidered flowers and snowflakes that surround the bust and cascade down the entire circumference of the dress, the diamond centers of each twinkling like a sky full of stars. I run my hands over the material, jaw unhinged.