Chapter One

G R E Y S O N

I jolt awake from another nightmare the urge to puke again being shoved down. My heart rate spiked while I tried to get control over my breathing.

"Grey you awake buddy?" Dad asked walking into my room. I'd curled into myself while I got myself under control. This was happening more often recently and I really wish it would stop already.

"Bub you okay?" Dad asked pulling me into his side. My breathing and heart rate evened out slowly.

"I will be." My voice still a little shaky. My false hope that tomorrow would be better was shattered, well it was tomorrow now and it didn't start great.

"You sure you still want to go to school?" Dad asked again rubbing my back. He knew what the dreams and memories were that's why he's so caring.

"I've already missed enough school as is, a few nightmares aren't going to stop that."

"Bub it's more than just a few, you've been having them a few nights a week for a month now."

"Do you want to start seeing your therapist again?" He followed up after.

"No, I'm going to be fine. Just give it some time." I said flatly. This was something I could handle the nightmares weren't that bad. Dad ruffled my hair before leaving my room, he did let me know breakfast was ready. After I took a few minutes to ground myself to reality I dressed for school. I threw on a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie before going downstairs. My outfits had become sweatpants and a hoodie a lot more often than usual. By the time morning came I was too tired and lazy to put effort into my appearance, emotional pain was exhausting.

Dad was in the kitchen talking to someone on the phone when I walked in.

"Breakfast is on the counter Grey." He said covering the speaker with his hand.

"Sorry Lily I was talking to Grey." Lily was his girlfriend she was nice; but I'd only met her a few times. Dad was apprehensive about bringing any woman home after what she did to me.

"I've gotta go, I love you." He said smiling like a kid on Christmas at her response before he hung up.

"You know dad it's okay to bring her around here. I really don't mind." I state eating the eggs and toast dad made. He eyed me for a moment looking weary.

"Are you sure, I don't want to stress you out bub." I nod and shoot him a smile.

"I know you love her, you smile like a love sick puppy when you guys talk on the phone."

"I do not. But if it's ok with you I'll bring her here more often, but I'm going to take it slow. You know so it doesn't cause any issues."

"She knows about what happened right?" I ask finishing my food. Dad grimaced and nods.

"Then it will be fine, just let me know if I need to invest in ear plugs."

"Grey!" Dad turns bright red at that. I laugh before my phone buzzes.

"Oh, Dec is here. I've gotta go."

"Bye Grey!" Dad called as I rushed towards the door. I slipped my shoes on before grabbing my bag and slipping out the door.

"Hey Grey." Dec said from the drivers seat. He glanced at me before narrowing his eyes.

"More nightmares?" He asked sounding concerned.

"Unfortunately, they aren't that bad just draining." Declan knew some stuff about what happened but some of it was too hard to talk about. He'd been my best friend since we were little. He was the reason she was caught in the first place, I'd mentioned it when I was six and he'd told his mom, who intern told the police and my dad.