Chapter Nine

PSA: Light trigger warning. Talk of abuse and trauma.

G R E Y S O N

I'm not nearly as strong as everyone thinks I am. I just keep all the pain to myself because I don't want to worry anyone. It would hurt me more to know that they were worried. Will can read me like a book though, it's becoming harder to hide it from him.

It's been a week since Dad was put in the hospital and he's now out. I'm staying with Will and his family. I have to go back to school soon; I ended up taking an extra week off for Dad.

"Hey Sunshine, how was your day?" Will asks coming into his room. He wouldn't let me stay in the guest room, I think he was too worried about me.

"It was fine, I visited Dad earlier. He's doing well and going back to work soon." Will nods before coming over to me. He sits down next to me with a sigh.

"Do you want to talk about what's bothering you?" Of course he noticed.

"I don't know."

"Well if you do I'm always here to listen." I hum in response and lean against him.

"Let me recharge first." Will laughs pulling me closer. We sit in silence for a while letting the other relax. I close my eyes for a moment; all the worry leaving my body.

"You're starting back at school Monday right?" He asks softly.

"Yeah." I answer opening my eyes again.

"Are you worried?"

"About school? No. About Crystal yes." It feels like a weight lifted off my chest. I don't know what it is about Will that makes it so easy to tell him this stuff.

"Well, I'm here and I plan on keeping you safe."

"Thank you."

"No need to thank me. I care about you so I'm going to protect you, it's what I do." Will says tilting my face so he can look into my eyes. A feeling I can't describe blooms in my chest. I can't quite put my finger on this emotion either.

"Sunshine, what with that look?" He asks tilting his head studying my face.

"I just..." I start but have to stop.

"I don't know how to explain it. You just make me really happy." I finally find the words; they aren't quite right but they work. Will grins so big you'd think I put the sun in the sky. I smile back and it feels so good to smile so unrestrained. Will moves us so we're laying down and we watch a few movies before I fall asleep next to him.

When I wake up a little later Will is not next to me. I frown and glance around the room trying to figure out where he went. His bathroom door was shut so maybe he was in there. I didn't have to wonder very long because the door opened and Will stepped out.

"Hey Sunshine." I smiled softly in response.

"Hey can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, what's up?"

"When we were at the hospital and Crystal showed up; you mentioned scars from her. Can I see them?" Will asks softly. I don't answer right away because I'm not entirely sure how to answer.

"If not that's perfectly fine. I just want to see them." Will states nervously.

"Calm down it's ok. And yes you can see them. Maybe not all of them." I state and motion him over to me. When Will sits down I turn my back to him and pull my shirt over my head. I hear him suck in a breath, my back is a mess of scars. Will's fingers brush lightly against the scars making me shiver.