Chapter Six

W I L L I A M

Grey was done talking about his past for the night, but fuck I was curious. I knew I wouldn't be able to make him tell me. I needed to build more trust with him first. Maybe he'd open up without coaxing, but curiosity killed the cat after all. I stared up at the ceiling for awhile thinking about everything and nothing. I was so caught up in my head that I didn't notice Grey came back.

"William?" He finally broke me from the stupor.

"Hey Sunshine."

"What's up? You were staring pretty hard at the ceiling."

"I was thinking that's all." Grey tilts his head as if trying to figure me out.

"I want to know about you, tell me things?" A soft smile played on his lips; it tugged at my heart a little. Somehow with everything he's been through Grey still finds ways to smile even when he might not want to. Greyson might just be the strongest person I know.

"Come here." I whisper and make room for him.

"What do you want to know?"

"Everything. You know so much about me and I know next to nothing about you." Grey made himself comfortable against my side.

"I have a little brother."

"What's his name?"

"Asher."

"It's just mom, Asher, and I."

"What about your dad?" I feel myself involuntarily tense.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." Grey whispered drawing pictures on my chest with his finger.

"No it's ok, he use to get angry and hit us. Mom left him."

"I'm sorry Will I had no idea." Grey stops drawing and looks at me with an unreadable expression.

"Like I said Sunshine everyone has their shit." I shrug, mom left dad when Asher was a baby. It feels like forever ago now.

"He tries to buy my love. His way of saying sorry for being a shitty parent." I felt my jaw clench I still hated him. Grey wrapped his arms around me, the only way he knew how to comfort people.

"I'm okay Sunshine. I promise." I whispered into his hair. Grey didn't say anything for awhile, perhaps he didn't know what to say.

"Sunshine?" I whispered.

"Why Sunshine?" He asks lowly not looking at me.

"Because somehow after everything you been through and everything you still have to deal with you smile. It reminds me of the sun when you smile." I whisper looking back up at the ceiling.

"I don't know why but we have a weird connection. I like it, please don't leave when it gets hard." Grey whispers softly.

"I wouldn't dream of it Greyson." My heart tugged at the emotion. It made me wonder how many people left after realizing Grey isn't the easiest person to be friends with, or how many people didn't even bother trying.

I sigh through my nose and close my eyes. Just because he's been through something traumatic didn't mean he didn't deserve love. It didn't mean he didn't need friends and support.

"I will always be here when you need me Greyson."

"Thank you Will." He whispers cuddling into my side. I hum and wrap my arm around his side. Grey fell asleep immediately while I stare at the ceiling for awhile before exhaustion swept in.