Chapter 11, Just go with it

(Saki Kana pov)

Previously, I won 15th place during the first course of the sports festival. After being neck-in-neck with Todoroki, I managed to weasel myself out of the spotlight.

But Midoriya seems to be in uncharted waters now, for placing 1st. I wonder how he'll deal with this. Let the second phase begin;

"The second round of the U.A. sports festival first-year stage is... a cavalry battle with the top 42 from qualifier!" Midnight announced.

"Those at the top will suffer more. You'll hear this many times as you attend U.A. this is what 'Plus Ultra' means!" She pointed her whip towards Midoriya.

"Izuku Midoriya, who placed first in the qualifier, is worth ten million points!" All eyes were suddenly on him.

God, I hate to be in his shoes right now.

Midnight began to explain the instructions for the second round.

"Now then, I will explain the rules of the cavalry battle. The time limit is fifteen minutes.

Each team is worth the total of its members' points, and the riders will wear a headband with that number on their foreheads.

Teams will try to grab each other's headbands until time runs out and try to keep as many points as they can.

Stolen headbands must be worn from the neck up, so the more you steal, the harder it'll be to manage them!

And the most important thing is that even if your headband gets stolen or your team falls, you're not out!"

The others started conversing with one another about the second round.

"During the game, it'll be a brutal fight where you can use your Quirks. But it is still a cavalry battle. You'll get a red card for attacks that are trying to make people fall on purpose! You'll be removed immediately!"

I can see Bakugou huff out from the corner of my eye.

"Now, you have fifteen minutes to build your teams. Start!" And with that, she concluded her explanation.

Since Midoriya's got 1st place, I should avoid teaming up with him. Bakugou's not a good option either. Don't get me started with Todoroki.

But I also have to secure a position in the top 10. It's most likely that my sister wants me in the finals.

Hmm... it seems like Bakugou and Todoroki's got their hands full. Who to team up with..?

I gazed around the crowd of students with whom I could team up.

Definitely not with Mineta!

"Uh-Uhm, Saki?" I turned around to see Uraraka looking excitedly at me. "Let's team up with Deku!" She beamed.

Uhh...

My mouth went agape at the mention of this. I brushed myself off and tried to decline Uraraka's offer. But nothing came out of me. Something about her persistency overwhelmed me.

In the end, I did nothing but let her grab my arm as I followed her through the crowd of students looking for Midoriya. After a short while, we found him.

"Deku!" She called over to him. Midoriya turned to us, his eyes wide and mouth agape. "Look, I found Saki! Let's be a team!" She smiled brightly.

"Uraraka!" Midoriya cried, a waterfall of tears falling from his eyes.

Literally, I even have to cover myself to avoid getting wet.

"I-Is it really okay? Everyone will probably be after me because of my ten million points!"
"If we run away the whole time, then you'll win, right?" Uraraka reassured him.