23

I said nothing because we swore never to talk about him. Have you forgotten so soon? She retorted.

He is Pearl's father. It would have been nice if you had told me he was ill, Mother. How is he? I asked.

The moment she finished describing his symptoms and everything he had suffered through, I forgot why I was angry with him so much.

Can you bring him to our hospital in Canada?

He is in Canada for a business meeting, I'll text you the address. I could feel the pain in her heart as she replied sadly.

My heart is heavy with pain. As soon as she sent me the address, I told mom to look after Pearl and asked Liam to drive me. It is possible that Pearl saw her dad today since his hotel is a five-minute walk from the restaurant. When we reached the hotel around 1 am, we spoke to the receptionist.

He checked out two hours ago, according to her. Liam suggests we go to the airport since he is driving. When we got to the airport, the last flight to Beijing had left an hour ago. It devastated me. During the drive back home, it was quiet. It was 6 a.m. when we got home. I just showered, brushed, and tucked myself into bed.

I woke up at noon with a headache. I am happy mom is around to take care of Pearl.

My supervisor called twice when I called him back. He was already at my house bonding with Cheng ge and my mom. Pearl doesn't even talk to him for some funny reasons.

What are you doing here? I asked

Good morning to you too, Yibo. I called all morning and I was worried so I came to check in on you. You have been given permission to take a month off since you haven't taken time off in two years. The best thing you can do is relax and maybe plan a trip for a few days. Would you prefer we go to Singapore or the Maldives? A big smile spread across his face as he asked the question.

I have somewhere I need to be but thank you very much. I turn to my mom. Mom, would you mind taking care of Pearl for a few days? I need to go to Beijing. She looked confused but Cheng ge understood and said sure Yibo, take your time.

I was still worried about Zhan ge, so I got a ticket for the afternoon flight and immediately packed a bag.

Pearl was in the garden with Xuan Lu and Jin. Big sis, I'm traveling to Beijing for a few days. Will you please wait for me?

Whenever you need me, I can come and see you, or you can bring Pearl with you.

Thanks for being understanding, sister, and I hug her.

Pearl baby, I crouched to her. I'm off to see Nana and do a few things, but I'll tell you all about it when I return.

It's okay, papa, be careful and call me when you're with her.

Yes, boss, I hugged her and left the garden.

When I got to Beijing, after 8 p.m., I headed straight to Xiao's house. I didn't tell Mrs. Xiao I was coming. My intention was to go there, and I didn't care if Zhan ge or his father were around.

When I knocked on the door, she came to open it for me.

Omg, Yibo, what are you doing here? Please excuse my manners and come in. It was just a surprise to see you. Zhan is not home now.

I was a little disappointed, but I will see him before I leave. She offered me tea and cookies. I didn't want to be too forward, but I didn't come for that. Mother, could you show me Zhan ge's doctor's report?

Oh sure, please wait here. Let me bring them to you. I was worried. She came out after a few minutes. When I reviewed his reports, nothing specific was wrong with him, but the symptoms looked like slow poison to me. Although I did not tell Mrs. Xiao anything, I wanted to be sure before telling her. To gain her attention, I cleared my throat.

Did you find any helpful information? Her eyes were filled with hope as she asked.

Not yet. I need to see Zhan ge and possibly run some tests.

I will talk to him when he gets back, she replied.

Don't tell him I'm around, just call Nana to tell me to come over. I replied, pretending to smile at her. My heart hurt so much, who could have poisoned him, and my mind drifted to Ziyi. Oh! I'm going to kill that crazy girl.

Okay, I will do anything you say, she said and hugged me before I left.

Oh, Nana, I miss how she smells. It was 9 p.m. when I entered the house, so I'm sure she's already in bed sleeping. I knocked on her door and entered.

Oh, she screamed as she saw me. What are you doing here? Why didn't you tell me you were coming? I would have prepared something for you.

What is the essence of telling you, this is what I plan to do. My goal was to surprise you, and I'm happy with the reaction I got.

You still act silly, she pulls me and hugs me so tight. Oh, how I miss her scent.

How have you been Nana?

Since you've abandoned me, why are you asking? In any case, you don't seem to care. She retorted.

Don't be like this, Nana. I would've come to see you if you were elsewhere. You know I can't come here right now but I miss you so much. I hug her.

How is pearl? She asked, pulling me to sit on the edge of the bed.

Fortunately, Nana, it's late now, so I'll call her tomorrow and let you know how she's doing.

Oh, my poor child, I would like to see her before I die.

Stop talking like that Nana, I will bring her to see you when she's on holiday.

It's okay, we are born to live and die after we've used our destined years on earth, she said, looking at me like I was still a 12 year old boy

I'm glad to see you doing well my boy. Take care and rest and we will talk tomorrow.

Okay, I hugged her one last time and shut the door behind me.