25

They immediately prepped me for surgery. The next morning, I woke up. I was sore all over. I saw Mrs. Xiao with Nana beside my bed and she was furious at me.

Why would you risk your life like that? Yibo. She yelled at me after I engaged in a brief conversation with her before she exploded in anger. I figured she couldn't hold in anymore.

I'm sorry, mother. I mumbled.

Never say sorry to me. Did you think of Pearl before deciding to get under the knife? She questioned again, looking like she was about to pounce on me and give me the beating of my life.

Honestly, I didn't think of Pearl before jumping on the surgery bed; I just did. I cursed myself mentally.

Yes, mother, I did it for her. He is her father and she will never forgive me if she finds out I could have helped him and I didn't. I murmured.

Now, Mr. Xiao is confused, looking at me and his wife. Wait, hold up. What is this that I'm hearing about Zhan being a father to a child? When did he get someone pregnant?

Oh, honey, am so furious right now, but I will tell you all about it later. She retorted and turned to face me.

Thank your stars that nothing happened to you. I would have brought you back to life and killed you myself. She beamed as she cupped my face and kissed my hand.

Yibo, I pray your impulse doesn't put you in trouble one day, Nana said.

Nana, I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier. Everything happened so fast. I pouted.

There's no problem baby, I'm sure he would do the same for you as well. She smiled again under the tears she was holding back.

Mother, Nana please can we keep this between us, I don't want anyone to know about this, especially Zhan ge. I begged, knowing his dad was there and listening.

Why don't you want him to know? His dad asked in a resonant voice.

I  don't want him to feel like he owes me anything, please don't tell him. Especially Cheng ge. He might tell Zhan ge out of annoyance. I begged them again.

Okay, they nodded.

I still have three weeks plus to rest and I will be okay before then, however, Zhan ge will take a long time to completely heal.

I'm sure he will start feeling better after his blood transfusions.

The hospital kept us in for a week for follow-up checks. Every time he is asleep, I visit him.

Pearl and I talk twice a day. I lied that I had food poisoning, so grandma insisted I stay in the hospital.

I don't know how to talk to him, but I'll see him one of these days. It's been three weeks. He is out of the hospital and doing well. He changed his diet and started drinking his medication. Mrs. Xiao gives me updates every day.

I jumped out of bed and winced in pain. My stomach still hurts and I am still wondering how I am supposed to pretend to be normal in front of Pearl until the scar completely heals. I wore blue jeans and white polo and hurried out of the house.

As soon as I got to Zhan ge's house, I was hesitant to enter, but when I saw his father, he asked me to come in.

Good afternoon sir, I greeted him.

Good afternoon Yibo, how are you doing? I hope your scar is healing.

Yes sir, I am better, thanks.

Yibo. He hesitated for a few seconds before he started speaking. He must have  swallowed his pride. I am sorry about everything you have been through. All this would have been better if my wife confided in me. I wouldn't have forced Zhan to marry Ziyi and to think that everything was a fraud. I'm sorry. He sighed.

It's a big deal for him to apologize. I am not upset, sir, as I ended up with a beautiful daughter and I could not have asked for anything better. Do you want to see what she looks like? I asked him.

Yes, yes, he muttered, and I forgot why I was there in the first place.

I sat beside him on the couch and showed him pictures and videos of Pearl from pregnancy to her 8th birthday, which we did a few weeks ago. I thought he was about to cry. He had the same reaction Mrs. Xiao had when she first saw Pearl.

We were carried away with what we were doing when we heard footsteps. As soon as I raised my head, I was met with brown almond eyes, my breath hitched, and I was at a loss for words. It wasn't long before a guy walked in. He's tan, tall, and has brown honey eyes.

Good afternoon Mr. Xiao

Good afternoon, Mr. Xiao answered, looking as confused as I was. Suddenly,  jealousy crept into my heart as I thought of a million things.

He and Zhan ge walked toward the garden, he did not look at me twice.

Go and talk to him, his dad whispered.

He has a guest; I replied.

Well, I don't know him and since you are here, walk over and talk to him.

As soon as I got up, I walked to the garden. I saw Zhan ge giggling and laughing with the guy. He leaned in and kissed Zhan ge as soon as he saw me. My heart raced, and it broke all over again. I felt the same way  when I heard he was marrying Ziyi. Taking a deep breath, I braced myself and walked toward them.

I cleared my throat to get their attention. They both turned in my direction. Zhan ge. Before I could talk, the guy with him interrupted me.

He is Mr. Zhan or simply Zhan. He rolled his eyes at me.

It took everything in me not to bitch slap him. I swallowed the lump in my throat and smiled. Mr. Zhan, Nana told me you were ill, so I came to see how you are doing.

He is fine; the guy replied with a smug smile on his face as he cupped Zhan ge's face.

Oh, I took a deep breath in order to control my hand that was trying to punch that smug face. Can I talk to you alone for a few minutes, Zhan ge, sorry, Mr Zhan? While controlling my voice from cracking, I asked him. I'm afraid to let him know how much control he still has over me.