ROSS 10

THE ICEBLADE MOUNTAINS - BETWEEN BLARJORD AND VITTAJORD, DYRRHEIM - PRESENT DAY

A rough trail had been blazed by others trekking these jagged mountains before him, but the ascent was steep and rocky. And he wasn't prepared for the cold and snow. Ross pulled up the scarf he'd wrapped around his face so that it nearly completely covered his nose, only leaving a thin slit for his eyes. Ice crystals were forming on the exterior of the knit covering where his breath escaped from his mouth and nostrils, and his eyes were burning. He was thankful for the layers Gundar had provided him. But still, the original shirt and pants he was wearing were thin, and didn't even reach his ankles. The leggings helped, and he was able to pull the thick stockings over them so that none of his bare skin was exposed. But he really needed a coat. And his hands were completely uncovered. The cotton slacks he'd changed into at The Dod didn't have pockets. And even if they did, they would be useless, anyhow. The path he was trudging was getting so steep that he was having to grab at rocks and boulders in order to climb his way up the mountain.

And the wind.

The wind was blustering so hard he could barely stand erect. It was blowing snow drifts across the trail that were seriously obscuring his vision.

I have to pee. He thought. And I need shelter from this weather.

And food.

He looked from one side of the path to the other, searching for some kind of cover. A cave would be amazing. He thought, tucking his chin against his chest more tightly to push through the flurry. Off in the distance, on the right side of the trail, about a third of the way up the side of the craggy hill, he thought he spotted an opening.

Hopefully, this wind storm isn't a constant occurrence in these parts. He veered off the trail and headed for the black hole. If I can just sit it out for awhile. He shivered, pulling his arms more tightly against his body, and tucked his hands inside his shirt for some protection.

The leather shoes were slick on the bottoms and he slipped on the icy surface, crashing to his knees. He quickly pulled his hands out of the shirt to break his fall, popping two of the buttons as a result. Oh, great. He muttered, pushing back up to his feet. He bent over to examine the damage to his knees and saw that holes had ripped through the fabric of the top layer, but at least the leggings underneath were still intact.

Moving again, off the beaten path, his feet were now sinking deep into fluffy snow, almost up to his knees. His socks and lower section of his pants were getting soaked and he could feel the bitter wetness saturating his skin.

I'm going to die of hypothermia if I don't get inside and warmed up soon. He realized with intense clarity. And he moved with increased motivation toward the cave. The terrain became more and more difficult as the incline increased, and he struggled against his overwhelming exhaustion. Finally, he pulled himself up to a space between the boulders where a rough and rocky animal trail appeared.

I'll bet some dreadful beast uses this cave for winter hybernation. He thought, as he continued the struggle to reach the cavity in the mountainside. Wouldn't that just be perfect? I claw my way to this cave for shelter, only to be met by a vicious bear or mountain lion wanting to eat me alive?

Reaching a relatively flat area just in front of the cave opening, Ross paused to catch his breath, and take stock of the situation. Glancing down at the ground around him, there were no animal or other tracks anywhere to be seen, aside from his own. But any footprints that might have been there even a few hours ago would likely have been blown away by the snow flurries. Regardless, he thought with renewed resolve, he had to risk it. If there was an animal inside of there, well, he'd probably meet his end being devoured as someone's dinner.