FAITH 10

VITTAJORD, DYRRHEIM - PRESENT DAY

"Anyhoo, that was a very concise overview of just some of the practical essentials our students learn when they train in herbology, chemistry, and manufacture of healing potions and concoctions. There are many other aspects we haven't the time to cover today. But when you start your studies you will learn more about the full curriculum. Oh," Minerva paused and pointed to the glass doors ahead of them, "there's Princess Groa now. I'm sure she will be taking you to the Spiritual Training Academy where those with your particular gifts are paired with a Master Practitioner or MP, as we call them, for specialized education."

Faith nodded and stepped quickly to keep up with the teacher, who, despite her rotund size, was surprisingly light on her feet. Faith wished she was wearing something more comfortable than the jeweled heels for this tour of the school.

"Ah, there you are!" Groa reached out her arm to place it comfortingly around Faith's shoulders. "Did you enjoy your time exploring the Healing Arts Nursery and Herbology Department with Professor Minerva?" She grinned down at the girl, then winked at the teacher.

"Oh, yes!" Faith exclaimed with a bright smile. "She said you would likely be taking me to the Spiritual Training Academy next, is that right?" She didn't wait for Groa to reply before adding, "I'm very interested in learning more about that!"

Groa grinned and nodded, "Absolutely, that is, in fact, where I am planning to take you next!" Then turning to the teacher, "Thank you very much Minerva." And the professor dipped her chin and dropped into another brief curtsy. "My pleasure, Princess...es!" She grinned at Faith, "I hope to see you in my classes sometime soon." And she turned and headed back the direction they had come.

"Actually," Faith began, "my feet are killing me, and this darn crown is a real pain. Would it be possible for me to change into something more comfortable?" She grimaced and wrinkled her nose.

"Of course! What was I thinking? Let's make a stop by the dormitories first. That will be a great opportunity to show you the room you would be staying in, if you choose the live-in option. I'll see to it that there are clothes ready in your size when we get there." She lifted her hand and pressed what looked like a round diamond stud earring perched on her left lobe then spoke some brief instructions under her breath.

"There we go. You're all set!" Groa looped her arm through Faith's elbow. "We will pass right by the throne room. Maybe we can pop our heads in and have a peek." She winked at the girl beside her. "You know, since you are family and all."

"Ohh! That would be awesome!" Faith squealed, now visibly limping as she walked. "As long as it's not very far, that is!" And they giggled together.

"Noo, it's right around the corner here." Groa assured. "But, as far as that foot pain is concerned," she stepped closer to the wall of the corridor, motioning for Faith to follow her, "you might have said something to Minerva while you had her. I'm sure she could have provided you with a quick topical salve for pain relief." She tipped her head at the teen and Faith rolled her eyes in response, smacking the side of her head with her palm. "But," Groa continued, "you ARE a Healer, you know?" She blinked very deliberately at Faith.

Faith placed her hand on the wall for support and filled her lungs.

"But I don't know how to use my gifts, yet. I've had no training, remember?" She looked up at Groa with wide eyes.

"While that may be true," the princess began, "it's my guess that if you can cure a boy of terminal cancer..." she paused for emphasis, "then I'm pretty sure you could heal some blisters on your feet." She grinned. "Why don't you give it a try? There are benches in the throne room where we can have a seat."

As they turned the corner the space opened up to an indoor, glass-domed courtyard. In its' center was a fountain featuring two enormous golden angels soaring on, what appeared to be, mechanical, feathered wings. The heavenly beings appeared to be hovering in place, and reminded Faith of gigantic humming birds. Just beyond the fountain, she could see a pair of intricately carved wooden doors, and a royal guard, dressed in gilded armor, was posted on either side. When the princesses approached, each guard snapped to attention, nodding briefly toward the woman. "Princess Groa." They chimed, in gruff voices.

"Gentlemen." She returned, then without additional comment, one of the guards reached out, and grabbed one of the huge gold and silver-toned door handles, and the door swung open, granting access to the chamber beyond.

Groa led the way, with Faith trailing just behind her.

"Here you go," she said, motioning to a royal-blue plush-covered bench situated just to the right of the entry. Faith quickly took a seat and Groa settled in beside her. Soft choir music could be heard over some kind of sound system as Faith bent down to remove the jeweled heels from her feet. But she was interrupted, having to quickly shoot her hand up to catch the golden crown, which was falling off her brow.

"Ugh!" She exclaimed in exasperation, and she glanced up at her cousin, rolling her eyes and shaking her head. She then turned to her left and set the circlet on the bench beside her. Returning to her initial task, she sighed with relief as she removed the shoes and began rubbing her feet.

"So, how do I..." Faith was looking up, to the room in front of her, when she stopped abruptly, inhaling sharply.

"Wait a minute..." She spoke in a hushed tone.

"What is it, Faith?" Groa looked down at her young cousin, a curious expression on her face.

"Umm..." she paused, "I know this place." She jutted her chin out and wiggled her hair just a bit.

"What do you mean, you know it?" Groa tipped her head to the side and scrunched her brows together. "I'm sure this is your first time visiting Vittajord, correct?"

"Well, I thought so, too," Faith replied, "but this is the exact same room I was transported to in that vision I had during my patriarchal blessing."

And they both stared blankly at one another.