Chapter 111

By next morning, Simon and I had completed some work that was being delayed. He was out of the house to go drop off packages, taking Edward's beloved Vanquish with him.

At the same moment he left, Carlisle and Charlotte returned with Theo and Fred in tow. Just by that alone, i was able to assume that they spent the night talking to each other. The topic in question was probably the only thing I couldn't guess and it was too early in the morning to be wracking my brain about something like this.

"Morning mommy!" Charlotte greeted skipping along to me. I was in the middle of my tea and toast when they came by. 

I was debating coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. Coffee to replace all the blood in my system but i know how that would end. Won't be a fun time for anybody.

"Morning Amor," i greeted. "Breakfast?"

"Yes! What are... we having?" She looked around and noticed I had nothing prepared. I don't think she was expecting me to have cooked something. I think she was just worried about my similar appetite from before. I can see her mind working. Her memories of me, even in memories of me eating, it's nothing but tea and toast. How much bread and tea have i eaten during the nine years and is that the result of my gaunt appearance now.

Yes, i imagine it was.

Sue did make sure I ate other things but it's safe to say bread is my life.

"Anything you want?" I asked. "Got a lot in the pantry. Pancakes? Hash browns? Egg in a basket? French toast, skies the limit."

Theo snorted. "Do you even know how to cook?"

I gasped. Offended. "I can. There just never was a reason to," i smiled at Char. "Until now. Priorities."

She pouted and set her hand on her hips. "You're supposed to take care of yourself too mom."

"Priorities," i repeated.

"Can I cook?" She asked. "I've never done it before."

I looked around the room for a bit. Carlisle offered me a smile before taking a seat at the island table.

"That's right, you prefer animals over regular meals," i muttered to myself and she prefers human blood over animals too. "Sure. Let's make some... atole. I should have some pan dulce somewhere."

She tilted her head. "Atole?"

Hm?

"Yes?"

"She hasn't learned Spanish," Carlisle said. "She only knows the few words she remembers from you."

Oh. I assumed she just learned it eventually. Well it's not like I talk much Spanish myself. 

"Okay," i said. "Um... wow, i never thought about the translation of the word atole. Atole is just atole. Okay, let's get started and you'll see what atole is."

Charlotte and I were done cooking and she was in the middle of her meal when Dorian came down. Immediately he was uncomfortable and desperately searching for a safety net. He spotted Theo and made his way to him, as the one closest to him. A muttered greeting there.

Theo patted his shoulder before taking a seat beside Carlisle that was watching Dorian. Everyone was being cautious and putting up their human facade. Dorian slowly made his way to me and looked over at what we were eating.

"You never cooked for me before," he muttered.

"You're in luck. I made some for you too. Can't promise you it's the best thing ever. Can't remember how many times my mom tried to teach me and I just can't remember what's the right consistency."