Grant

I lived on the other side of the river, on the water. From the restaurant it took a good thirty minutes to get to my house. Technically I lived in Point Suffolk while the restaurant (and Maddie) were in Golden. My side of the river was quieter, more country-like, while Golden was a smaller version of Jersey's bigger cities. It was like the little sister trying to embody her older siblings, Trenton and Jersey City. I'd been born in Golden, but when I came back home for good, I wanted something more peaceful, and my water-front oasis was just that. Especially since I'd bought each of the lots on either side of me too.

What can I say? I liked my space.

Madeline's eyes were wide as we walked into my place. The bottom floor was basically one big room, nothing but an island counter separating the kitchen from the dining room, and my leather sofa signaling where the dining room ended, and the living room began. The back wall, that faced the water, was nothing but tall glass doors. You could see every single light from Golden twinkling on the water. It was probably my favorite thing about my house. I'd always found the water calming, and on especially rough nights, nights when sleep just wouldn't come, I could come downstairs and sit and watch the water. It brought me back down.

"Holy shit," Madeline said, her mouth remaining a bit agape as she looked around. "Are you some sort of secret prince or something?"

I chuckled loudly. "No. No, absolutely not. Just like my space."

"Your house is HUGE!" Madeline exclaimed, whirling on me with wide eyes. "You could fit my entire house IN your house, in this room!"

I rolled my eyes a bit as I headed for the liquor cabinet, grabbing a couple rocks glasses and a bottle of scotch. "It ain't that big."

"The hell it isn't," Madeline argued. "Are you sure you're not loaded?"

"I'm sure," I nodded as I poured. "I mean, I'm in a good place, but I'm not rich."

"I think we have different definitions of rich," Madeline mumbled. She looked around some more but jumped when she heard a scuff against the door that led toward my yard. It wasn't a back yard. It was more of a side yard, since the back would've led directly to the beach.

"What the hell was that?"

I smirked as I tipped my glass to my lips. "I think someone wants to meet you."

Madeline eyed me oddly, obviously confused as I moved toward the side door. "What?"

"Get ready," I warned.

Madeline just stared at me, looking almost scared as I opened the door and my giant four-legged companion pushed his way in, all stoic and a bit wet from the rain that had just started falling.

Odin was an enormous German Shepherd that had served alongside my men and I for about eight years. When I retired, he coincidentally was retired as well (arthritis in his back and legs), and now we were just two old soldiers, commiserating together about the good ol' days.

Madeline let out an excited squeal and dropped to her knees the second Odin trotted in, shaking the rainwater from his thick coat. "Oh my GOD!" she beamed.

I chuckled at her enthusiasm. "Maddie, meet Odin. Odin, this is Maddie." Odin just looked up at me and then at the girl on her knees, then back to me, waiting for my permission. "Go ahead."

Odin then bounded toward her like a puppy, immediately bouncing and wiggling and licking at her with an enthusiasm that matched hers. Madeline dissolved into laughter as they tussled about for a bit, and I just watched them, an overwhelming warmth developing in my chest. This girl fit perfectly, everywhere.