Ten: Stories And Food!

As it turns out, Dahir is a really great guy.
*wink

No but seriously.
I know I hated him because he hated me and we argued and couldn't stand each other but it was because we didn't have an understanding.

So far, he has become the closest person to me, before it was Jaafar but he took that position.

I don't know what happened with his ex but she was the reason he behaved the way he did, now I'm with Farouq, I drove myself today and I'm about to extract information from him.

"You could have at least been lenient with us" he complains.
"Eh? What did you think I meant when I said you were going to have a test?"

"We thought it would be easier"
"You all we're playing yourself, you know it. It was easy"

He shakes his head "We were not expecting the Ottoman Empire or the Jewish Genocide"
I roll my eyes "You can't complain about both, I gave you two movies to watch to understand it better, especially the Nazi's so what you wrote is not my concern".

He huffs "Well, I should tell you that Muneerah has agreed to be my girlfriend".

I squeak "That's good news, see I told you it would work"
"Yeah, thanks".

I nod "Farouq?"
"Yeah?" He answers getting his phone from his bag.

"What happened with Dahir and that Habiba girl?"
He turns around and looks at me "You came to the right person but you can't tell him that I told you"

I nod.
"Well, I think they dated for a year but he was madly inlove with her, like I mean he really loved her. He kept talking about knowing she was the one the moment he had his eyes on her. They'd meet everyday, talk for hours and we all thought he'd marry her. Eventually our uncles went to see her father and they agreed in a heartbeat, they were engaged. She even came here and met us all officially, spent a while talking to Mami, we all liked her for him. Until one morning she stopped returning his calls. She traveled the day before and that was it. There was no point going to their house because she went along with her mother and sisters. And coincidentally whenever he called her sisters and mother it wouldn't go through. A week went by and your boy was losing it, he didn't know where to start from until a number called him, it was her friend who asked to meet up. When they met up she told him that she was feeling guilty and she thought telling him would be the best option. Apparently, Habiba had gotten married to one of ther father's friends. He was an influential man who approached the father after he heard about their engagement and her family being the blood sucking golddiggers they were agreed to it in a heartbeat and while they were planning their wedding she continued talking to him at least until the day they traveled for the wedding. That was when it hit him, badly. Her mother and sisters blocked him, the same people he'd sit and laugh with. Your boy was not normal for a long time".

"Wow" I comment.
"I know right"

I stay quiet.
"Can we please retake the test?"

"Not happening".

::

Muhibba and I are in a children's store shopping for Ahad. I went to see her at her house and she dragged me along.

"Muktar looks at me weirdly, does he blame me for the divorce too?" I ask browsing through the baby clothes.

"No, you know he won't and even if he did it's not like it would bother you but I think it's just pity"

I groan "Then I'd rather he hate me"
"Don't be so dramatic"

"For real, I hate when people look at me with so much pity"
"I know, I'll talk to him about it"

"Thanks".
"So how's teaching going?"

I huff "Kids are a lot to handle, especially the grown ones. They think every dumb thing makes them cool. God they're annoying but I still wants kids"

I sigh.
"You could have them"
"When? When I get married? I honestly don't know if that will happen 10years from now"

"It won't, you'll meet someone before then. Muhammed was just a test from God"
"Yeah, I've accepted that. He stripped me off the joy of being a mother, not even once. How can I not hate that man?"

"Because you feel bad for him, you pity him. It's not his fault completely that he's the way he is"

I nod "Yeah but it's not my place to fix him when he nearly broke me"
"Definitely" she pouts "Let's get that fire sandwich next door"

"Okayy".

::

Today marks one year since I divorced Muhammed. Once the love of my life.

Since I woke up I've been in a really good mood. Thank God it's exam period and all I have to do is sit home and chill while the older teachers do their magic.

And Malik came to see me.
We talk almost everyday but work keeps him so busy, the last time I saw him was more than a month ago.

"You look excited" he says smiling.

"Yeah, I am. I keep remembering the feeling I felt when things were done. I was in pain but I was ecstatic".

He nods "So you are today too. Where should we go to celebrate?"
I chuckle "Well, wherever you want"

He shakes his head "Don't do that with me, just tell me where you want to go"

"You know me, I don't care where it is as long as you take me there"
He nods "Fine, I'll take you to Mama Ijebu's place"

I stare at him "What is Mama Ijebu?"
"Really? Now I have to take you"

"Where are we going?" Dahir asks joining us.
I smile.
"Mama Ijebu, she's never been"

He looks at me surprised "Really? Where you and I eat twice or three times a week?"
"You two meet that often?" I ask.

He nods "Let's go, I'll drive" Dahir says "Go get your veil".

::

We got back late so Malik immediately left the moment we arrived.
Dahir and I sit in the gazebo.

"So? What do you think?"
"Of your Mama Ijebu?"

He nods looking at me expectantly.
"It's okay"

"Okay? Just okay?"
I nod "I expected more"

He shakes his head "Are you serious? They make the best food I've ever eaten"
"I'm not sure I agree"

"Then I'll keep taking you there until you do"
I raise my hands in the air "Fine, I do".

He huffs "You've made this past few weeks really interesting and fun for me"
I blushed hearing him say that "So you enjoy my boring company?"

"We both you it's not boring, you're a really fun person. Somehow you get along with everyone but me. It's not so easy to meet people I vibe with"

I smile "I'll be honest, it's been the same for me. I don't miss home as much anymore"

"But your parents still haven't contacted you?"

I huff "Unfortunately, they're still mad at me. Malik said I should give them time but it's going to be a year since they kicked me out"

He smiles "Don't worry, everything will work out Inshallah"

I nod.

::