Chapter one

My name is Percy Jackson, I am seven years old and I think I am going crazy. My mommy and daddy don't get along and fight often. But today the fight was exceptionally bad.

POV: Percy

"Sally!" Gabe yelled "Get me a drink and hurry!"

I watched my mom hurriedly get a drink and pass it to him. I disliked Gabe; no it went further than that I absolutely despised him. He treated my mother like she was his slave. I wanted to do something every night he would hit her but I can't do anything, I am helpless like she is. I blame this all on my father you see, if he hadn't just ditched us then maybe I would have had a better life.

My mom sent me to school but it never worked because the letters kept floating around the page. But Gabe wouldn't believe me and say I was worthless and not worth his time and money.

I snorted, he actually got money because of me. He was too lazy to work so my mother was the one who was out working until eleven every night.

I always had a fascination with water and at the age of six I learnt how to control it. My mommy made me promise not to show anyone and I agreed but when she wasn't around and Gabe was here well let's just say I got some revenge for treating my mother rudely.

I smirked because I knew of the whoopee cushion under his chair and when he sat down a long great fart erupted. Or, that what my mom though at least. Gabe would glare at me and I would glare back but my mom glared at him to stop and he just shrugged and usually left me alone. My mother was the only protection I had from Gabe and without her; I would have been gone a long time ago.

Because of my love for water we lived near a lake and every day I would swim to the bottom to get away from Gabe. I always knew I was special from the day I found out about my water powers. My mom tried to explain the best she could but she refused to tell me everything until I was twelve. All I know so far is that I inherited my sea green eyes from my father. Personally I blame everything on my father, my mom says that he was the nicest man she met but I disagree. If he knew what was best then he would have stayed.

Gabe was in an unusually bad mood today and yelled at me for "getting in his way" when he clearly bumped into me.

"Who cares about you" I muttered, earning a long and hard glare from Gabe. His eyebrow twitched and I knew I was going to get it so I made a run for it but he caught me. My ankle was trapped between his two legs, while he took his belt off. Mommy ran in between and pulled me free but Gabe whipped her with his belt and she crashed into the bed. She yelled at Gabe after getting up and slapped him across the face. Then he just lost it, he lunged and took my mom by the neck and strangled her.

I screamed at him but he ignored me muttering something about finally we were getting what we deserved. My mom signaled for me to run and I did. As fast as I could I ran and ran. Not once did I look back.

The next day I read in the newspaper that our apartment was lit on fire and burned to the ground, my mother and Gabe were not found. I cried the entire day until a nice woman came up to me.

"I bet you are really lonely" she said smiling and for some reason I trusted her, I nodded. "Come with me and I will bring you to my home." She said before picking me up and holding me in her arms as she walked into the ground, how could she do that?

It was cool I saw furies, hell hounds, and Minotaurs. I only knew these because I studied Greek mythology when I was little. My mother had told me how important it would be later in my life. She held me tightly as she reached a huge palace with a moat. Funnily there was no water in the moat just bones. Wait what? Bones I was beginning to be more cautious about this place but the lady's smile kept me from screaming. The bridged lowered and a man with dark eyes and hair came out to meet us.