1

Dillon, Texas

Dillon, Texas. A tight-knit town, deeply rooted in tradition and devoted to its high school football team, the Dillon Panthers. It is a place where residents rally together every Friday night, filling the stadium with passion, pride, and unwavering support for their beloved team. The town's identity largely revolves around football. Much like other small towns in the state of Texas.

Dillon is also known for its strong sense of community. Neighbors look after one another, value their relationships and prioritize family, friendships, and loyalty above all else.

And while Dillon's traditional way of life may make it seem idyllic, it is also a place where secrets seldom remain hidden.

For Maisy Coleman that's a problem. She's returning to the place she had left behind seven or so years ago one random spring night. Now she was returning harboring many of her own secrets.

<><><><><><>

Maisy Coleman stepped off the bus that had stopped in the middle of the town. Her bag hung off her shoulder as she dragged her small suitcase next to her. The bus had swiftly pulled away.

"Honey, this ain't Austin. You're about ten stops to early" an old man had called out she looked around at the town. It had changed since she had last been.

"I'm here to visit Dillon" Maisy explained. The man shook his head at her before continuing on his way. Maisy looked around, hoping her father was near by but it seemed he had forgotten already. She had expected him to not show though.

The dust cloud left by the departing bus thinned out gradually as Maisy trudged through the lonely street. The corners of her mouth turned down as anxiety started to creep in. The sun beat down relentlessly intensifying the deserted atmosphere of the place.

The old buildings revealed a sense of character and history. Most of them had neglected, peeling paint revealing the time-exposed bricks beneath.

A sense of nostalgia struck her as she remembered her childhood here, back when her father was more present and her mother was still her legal guardian.

Maisy began her journey down familiar streets, with storefronts faded by time, the church bell tower peeking out above the rooftops, and the forgotten playground she spent a majority of her childhood in. The unsettling silence was only broken by distant birdcall and the crunch of her boots over the gravel road.

Some part of her anticipated seeing her father at every street corner her eyes passed over. But, disappointment lingered as each part of the town revealed itself to be void of his presence. Strangely, it felt like she was walking through a town that had almost paused itself in time. Everything was familiar, yet just out of reach, like a reoccurring dream.