19

As a quarter of the team had walked away, leaving a noticeable gap in their ranks, Maisy found herself burdened with additional responsibilities

As a quarter of the team had walked away, leaving a noticeable gap in their ranks, Maisy found herself burdened with additional responsibilities. Coach Taylor had tasked her with scouting the JV players, overseeing their transition to the varsity team, and ensuring they were adequately prepared for upcoming games. This extra workload had consumed her precious free period, which she would have preferred spending differently, all because Tim had mishandled a crucial conversation with Smash. Though she had forgiven Tim, a lingering trace of frustration lingered within her.

"Hey, what's going on?" Maisy inquired as Tim joined her and the three JV players at the lunch table.

"Coach decided they're with me today, while you were off somewhere," Tim explained with minimal enthusiasm, diving into his lunch without much preamble.

"I was busy sorting out their uniforms, making playbook copies, and getting everything in order for Friday's game. So, please don't act like that, Tim," Maisy retorted sharply.

"Relax, you're wound up," Tim replied casually, his mouth half full with a sandwich.

"I must be lucky, Riggins. Three eager puppies following you around," Maisy remarked wryly, shifting her attention to her lunch.

"You need to unwind. My place after school," Tim suggested.

"See you then," Maisy whispered into his ear as she left Tim with the JV players.

Later on, in Tim's house, one of the JV players asked, "What should we do now? We finished cleaning up your backyard."

"Work on the front yard," Tim called out in between kisses with Maisy.

"What exactly should we do there?" another JV player inquired.

"Just figure it out," Tim replied again. The three players shuffled awkwardly from the back to the front, pausing to watch Tim and Maisy engaged in an intimate moment on the couch.

Maisy, catching them staring, withdrew from Tim's embrace, shooting a disapproving look at the JV players. "Seriously, guys?"

Tim, puzzled, raised his hands in a questioning gesture. "What's wrong?"

"Do they have to shadow you all the time?" Maisy asked, her annoyance evident as she fixed her shirt, which Tim had playfully tugged upwards.

"Yup." Tim replied.

"This isn't relaxing or productive, things I should be doing," she continued, clearly agitated.