10

Instead of heading to school like any other typical morning, Maisy found herself seated at the police station, facing a morning of questioning

Instead of heading to school like any other typical morning, Maisy found herself seated at the police station, facing a morning of questioning. The Child Protective Services social worker sat next to a police officer, emphasizing that this wasn't an interrogation, though it certainly felt like one to Maisy.

"So, what happened?" the CPS worker inquired, her tone professional as she scribbled notes. Maisy had the sense that they were hoping to pin the blame on her father, and she was determined to prevent that from happening.

"I told you it wasn't him. It was a few guys who showed up at work. I won't say who. We don't need any retaliation in this town," Maisy explained, her voice resolute. The CPS worker nodded while glancing at the relaxed cop next to her.

"Who took you to the hospital? Why not your dad?" she pressed further, trying to find inconsistencies. Maisy sensed the trap they were setting.

"A neighbor drove me home. I walked there after work. I would've asked my dad if he was home, but I knew he wasn't. It's not a big deal," Maisy retorted with a hint of defiance.

"The story matches up. Does this conclude the questions?" the cop whispered to the social worker, who reviewed the hospital notes.

"Okay. Well, CPS just needs an official signature confirming you're medically cleared from the hospital, and the case will be officially closed. You can drop the papers off here at the station anytime," the social worker explained as she handed Maisy the necessary documents.

After departing the interview room, she met her father in the lobby. Also present were Coach Taylor and Buddy Garrity.

Buddy was chatting with her father, while Coach Taylor sat quietly. Buddy interjected, "Coleman, your daughter has been a great help to the football team, keeping those boys in line."

"Yeah, bet she's been a big help," her father snarled, casting a glare at Maisy. "You tell those players to leave my daughter alone. They got CPS on our ass now," he directed his anger at Coach Taylor, who had remained silent.

"Dad!" Maisy snapped back, tugging his arm toward the exit. "Come on. Just drop it!"

"Have a good day, Randy!" Buddy called out cheerfully as they left the station. Buddy seemed to have a talent for stirring up trouble.

"Just drop me off somewhere, and then you can go about your day," Maisy requested as her father climbed into his truck, slamming the door shut.

"Yeah, fine. Where to?" he grumbled.

"The hospital, to get the papers signed," she explained, holding up the documents. He scoffed at the idea but started the clunker and drove off.