12

The door swung open, and Randy Coleman stumbled inside, clearly disoriented after a wild night spent at the strip club

The door swung open, and Randy Coleman stumbled inside, clearly disoriented after a wild night spent at the strip club. His daughter, Maisy, sat on the couch, flipping through a limited selection of TV channels, assuming it was just another one of her father's alcohol-induced episodes.

"You really need to quit working at Alamo Freeze!" her father demanded, his voice laden with frustration.

Maisy looked up, bewildered. "What are you talking about now?" she asked, her irritation evident.

"I found you a better-paying job," Randy responded, slamming a pack of beer down on the table. He cracked open a can and guzzled its contents in one gulp. "Mindy said she'd overlook your age and all that if you keep it under wraps. You could make tips at the Landing Strip that equal a whole month's pay at Alamo Freeze."

Maisy couldn't believe what she was hearing. "You've got to be kidding me!" she exclaimed, leaning over the edge of the couch to confront her father. This prompted him to rush towards her disapprovingly.

"Listen to me. I got you this job, so you're going to show up before school tomorrow and do as they say. We have bills to pay around here," Randy lectured, taking another swig of his beer.

Furious, Maisy threw the remote on the couch and stormed off to her room, slamming the door shut behind her.

The next morning, before school, Maisy reluctantly entered the club, tugging on her tank top in an attempt to conceal her barely exposed midriff. As she made her way inside, she noticed the men staring at her.

"Maisy, right? Follow me," Mindy said, snatching the tray off the bar. They weaved through the crowded tables in the center of the room.

"I need you for daytime training today," Mindy explained as they passed a group of men at a table, delivering their drinks.

"Mindy, I have school today. It's a Wednesday," Maisy whispered, trying to negotiate.

"I don't care. If you want to keep this job, you'll stay for training. Do you understand?" Mindy replied, popping her chewing gum right in front of Maisy's face. Maisy reluctantly nodded her head.

"Good. I'll also need you tomorrow during the day. That won't be a problem, will it?" Mindy asked. Maisy shook her head in response. "Okay, then. Come help me," Mindy added, turning her attention back to the table and carrying a tray of beers. Maisy sat at the bar, adding the next round of drinks to her tray, patiently awaiting Mindy's return.

Disgusted by the men who continued to ogle her, Maisy observed her surroundings. She was dressed relatively conservatively, wearing a tank top and zip-up jacket. Mindy glanced at her outfit before motioning for her to discard the jacket.