14

Maisy's brief tenure at the club lasted a mere week before she made the difficult decision to resign

Maisy's brief tenure at the club lasted a mere week before she made the difficult decision to resign. The weight of embarrassment pressed upon her, as the knowledge of her new employment had quickly spread throughout the school. The idea of debasing herself in such a manner was something she couldn't bear, and the meager financial compensation hardly justified the profound sense of humiliation she experienced.

On the other hand, Randy expressed his discontent upon learning that Maisy planned to return to her former job at Alamo Freeze. The night she resigned from the club, the tension in their home reached a boiling point. Their anger manifested in a destructive display as if a tornado had ravaged their living space.

Maisy and Randy engaged in a relentless, emotionally charged battle that spanned the entire night. The argument escalated until Randy, driven by unresolved frustrations, repeated the same painful actions that had scarred Maisy's mother many years ago.

He struck her with a forceful slap across her face, the sharp sound of the impact echoing through the room as the moment hung heavy with tension.

A pronounced bruise, eerily resembling the shape of a handprint, had marred her face, a painful reminder of that fateful moment. Its vivid, discolored presence persisted for a whole week, during which Maisy's absence from school raised speculation and concern among her peers.

The prevailing assumption among those who knew her was that she had taken a leave of absence due to the relentless humiliation and torment she had faced at the club. They believed she needed a respite from the torment that had grown unbearable. However, the truth was far more complex.

Maisy's absence from school was not solely a result of her emotional struggles, but rather her profound fear of the judgment and inquiries that would ensue if people discovered what had transpired. The specter of Child Protective Services (CPS) and the repercussions of exposing her situation loomed large, leaving her with no choice but to hide the painful truth.

Upon her return to school the following week, Maisy found herself pleasantly surprised to encounter an unexpected level of discretion. While the whispered rumors about her involvement in the club had notably subsided, a hushed conversation still lingered, though it had shifted its focus to her altered appearance and the evidence of her recent ordeal.

Maisy arrived at school on a Monday morning, still grappling with the lingering effects of a hangover from the night before. Her disheveled appearance was a testament to her rough night: a loose sweatshirt slipping off one shoulder, barely clinging sweatpants, a messy bun holding her hair in place, and sunglasses shielding her sensitive eyes from the unforgiving daylight.

As she shuffled down the hallway, Mrs. Taylor, the school administrator, noticed her and inquired, "Maisy Coleman?" Maisy, her speech slurred from the previous night's revelry, replied, "Mrs. Taylor, I'm back." Concern furrowed Mrs. Taylor's brow, and she quickly ushered the young girl into her office.