20

Maisy sat nervously in Mrs

Maisy sat nervously in Mrs. Taylor's office, her fingers tapping anxiously on her thighs as she waited for her father to arrive.

Anxious didn't even begin to describe Maisy's emotional state. She was on edge, paranoid, and felt like she might pass out from the stress at any moment.

As she recounted the events to the Taylors, they listened with sympathetic eyes, their expressions filled with concern. Maisy couldn't help but contrast their empathy with her father's monstrous behavior. He had become someone she feared, someone she couldn't recognize anymore.

The Taylors had proposed a meeting with her father to resolve the conflict from the other night, despite it going against protocol to avoid involving Child Protective Services (CPS). While Maisy didn't fully agree with their approach, she reluctantly agreed, hoping against hope that her father would come to his senses and welcome her back home, sparing her from the CPS ordeal.

"Mr. Coleman," Tami greeted as Maisy's father entered the office, Coach Taylor standing beside his wife.

"Did Maisy do something wrong?" her father asked, his tone surprisingly calm.

"No, we just want to discuss Maisy's home life," Mrs. Taylor explained cautiously, choosing her words carefully.

"Let's just get this over with," her father sighed, reclining in the seat. The smell of alcohol emanated from him, making Maisy feel sick to her stomach.

Mrs. Taylor started the conversation delicately, mentioning that Maisy believed certain things he said the night before to be true. However, her father's response was far from civil.

"I said what I said. She's not welcome back," her father snapped, his tone harsh and unwavering.

Coach Taylor, displeased with his attitude, stepped forward. "Mr. Coleman, you better watch your tone and language in front of my wife."

As the conversation escalated, it became evident to Tami that there was a much bigger problem at home than they initially realized. Maisy, feeling a mix of despair and resignation, kept her gaze fixed on her lap, dreading the outcome.

When her father made it clear that he had no intention of taking responsibility or making any arrangements for Maisy's care, Coach Taylor swiftly escorted him out of the office and out of the school premises.

Maisy sat quietly as Mrs. Taylor processed the encounter, trying to find a solution despite the grim reality.

"Clearly, he was still intoxicated. We can try another time when he's not..." Mrs. Taylor trailed off, her words tinged with uncertainty.